Possession of a non-functioning weapon or gun

In places where possession of weapons, firearms, guns, whatever you call them, is a non-functioning revolver in a museum like display case regulated?

It would depend on local laws.

Yeah, I know. What are some examples of what local laws say about this hypothetical.

It’s also going to depend on how is the weapon rendered non-functional. Welded into a solid mass or just firing pin ground down?

Actually, it would have to be a peculiar local ordinance for it to be considered a firearm for legal purposes.

California has some fairly strict laws regarding replica firearms. I believe there is an exception for older models, like 1890’s revolvers, etc. California also has fairly tough laws regarding “toy” guns.

It’s going to depend on the type of gun first - if it’s 1899 or earlier, then it’s considered an antique and there are no problems no matter where you live.

If newer than that, it will basically be considered a modern firearm, which is more heavily regulated. In some cities, like NYC and Washington D.C., it may be outlawed all together though I don’t know the rules for a ‘non-functional’ or replica gun, but I’m sure those can easily be looked up. California has an approved list of guns that are the only ones allowed which have passed a ‘drop test’ if I recall, but again, not sure what the ‘non-functional’ rule is.

We need more information to answer this properly, specifically:

1. What kind of gun and how old is it?
  2. Where are you located?
  3. Is it non-functional (permanently disabled and can never be made to fire again) or non-functional (replacing one or more parts would make it functional again)?
  4. Who owns the gun now? - This can be important since if it is a family member, an inter-family transfer can be done even in states where the gun may not be otherwise allowed (like California). In other words, if it’s your grandfather’s service revolver from when he was on the police force back in the 1930s, and your grandmother wants to give it to you in a shadowbox, but you live in California, that would be allowed.

The fact it is in a display has no bearing on it.

I should add that my answers above also assume you are allowed to legally own a handgun (i.e. not a minor, not a felon, etc.)