Possible benefit for long head hair on humans?

I’m quite jealous of that shade of red. (And actually, I’m not sure it’s a “he”. I wrote that with another picture of an unambiguously male orangutan, and then found this one, who looks like a lost member of the Beatles. I changed the link, but not the nouns. It may be a juvenile male, or it may be a female; I don’t know my orang anatomy well enough to be sure.)

I wonder if extremely dark skinned people lived there if they would have any problem with a vitamin D deficiency… I thought animals with fur like wolves wouldn’t have a problem about vitamin D.

Cite? This isn’t the case for the Bushmen, probably the most well-know African HGs.

Wolves have no problem eating other animals’ livers. Plus there’s currently a theory that furred animals could get some of their vitamin D from their own skin oils, by grooming…not proven yet, AFAIK. There was a thread here a few years back.

Well I think the bushmen keep their hair quite short - rather than let it grow to its natural length.

Well, what someone said about livers, plus, eating them raw. Animals have different vitamin needs from humans. Some animals, pigs for example, can synthesize their own vitamin C, the way humans can synthesize vitamin K. I think cats can synthesize vitamin C as well. In fact, IIRC, the reason pigs can eat such low-quality diets is that they can synthesize pretty much every vitamin.

Good Hair. Documentary by Chris Rock that he was moved to make when his (small) daughters asked him if they should straighten their hair. It’s about all the time and money black women spend trying to make their hair look more like white people’s hair.

I found it highly ironic, because I have very curly hair, which I’m always getting compliments on, except from the occasional person who won’t believe it’s natural.

Thanks I’ll check it out.

Nope, that is its natural length.

Yes, very much so. It’s a problem that’s just recently been noticed. We used to think that if you didn’t have rickets, you had enough vitamin d, and that the vitamin d added to milk was enough for most people. Now we’re thinking that there are deficiency problems long before rickets, and we’re also acknowledging that the majority of African Americans are lactose intolerant and maybe milk isn’t their best supplement choice. Many people with dark skin are being put on target large doses of supplemental vitamin d gelcaps to compensate.

Chimpanzees have light skin, which does darken with age, but you’re starting from a false premise there.

Compare these pics of bushmen:
http://www.sketchedout.co.za/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/Bushmen-Hunters-big-800x566.jpg

Also I’m sure they’d have some kind of beard.

It’s sad and not surprising, but these people are misinformed.

I would like to see a cite that says pigs can synthesize most vitamins.

Newsflash - different people have different lengths of hair. But that second photo? It’s entirely possible to have hair like that and never have cut it. I have cousins with that kind of peppercorn hair. It only grows about 5cm, tightly curled, before it falls out and gets replaced. Khoisan hair is not at all like Bantu (or African-American) hair. A Bushman can not grow an Afro.

Most Bushman only have very thin, scraggly facial hair, if at all. They also don’t grow a lot of body hair either. They’re about equivalent to Native Americans in that regard.

Is this the missing thread?

Yes, twickster.

Good point. You might ask “Why are there redheads?” I’m not sure that being a redhead is strongly correlated with getting laid or not getting laid. It’s just an ancient genetic mutation that is. It happens to be more common in certain areas (e.g. British isles), but then that comes from thousands of years of redheads living near other redheads.

hair loss happens.

http://www.sketchedout.co.za/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/Bushmen-Hunters-big-800x566.jpg

In the second photo his hair is about 1cm - possibly 2cm. The ends mostly seem rough as if they were cut. It would be surprising if his hair had never been cut.