All the more of an achievement considering they only played 154 games back then.
Okay, looking ahead, if the Rays and Milwaukee manage to win their respective leagues this month we will be looking at an unusual situation in which we will definitely have a first-time World Champion. Tampa Bay has never won a World Series, and neither have the Brewers, so someone has got to win, and in this formulation it will be a first-timer.
Complete the sentence: The last time we had a World Series in which we were guaranteed a first-time champion was in ?, when the __ beat the __.
Since the question new, I’ll spoiler. Was it 1980 Phillies vs. Royals?
It was!
Even with a possibly better-phrased question, I wouldn’t have gotten the answer!
So, no worries.
Thanks!
Kind of esoteric, but here we go. Who is the only yokozuna to wrestle under his birth name instead of an assumed shikona?
Wajima Hiroshi b. Jan 11, 1948 d. October 8, 2018 (eight years ago today)
Since I neglected to put a ? at the end, might as well share the answer
Summary
Ron Hassey is the catcher who caught Len Barker’s perfect game for Cleveland in 1981 and Dennis Martinez’s for Montreal in 1981. So he leads both the US and Canada in perfect games caught. ![]()
And before that you have to go back to 1920, Cleveland over Brooklyn. Just twice in a little over a hundred years. We’ll see if lightning strikes again this season (odds are it won’t, but hey, you never know).
Looks like Martinez’s was actually 1991, right? '81 would have been too early for him.
But wouldn’t that have been something: two perfect games for two different teams in the same year, and strike-shortened at that!
Haha. Yes thanks for the correction.
By the way, there were 2 perfect games in the same year. In the 1st ever perfect game in MLB in 1880, Lee Richmond of the Worcester Worcesters (helluva name) perfected the Cleveland Blues 1-0. 5 days later, it was John Montgomery Ward of the Providence Grays over the Buffalo Bisons.
These were the only 2 pre-modern perfectos, but are counted in the official MLB total of 24.
Btw: this is all from Wikipedia, so don’t sue me if I’m wrong.
I love that. Much better than the current unimaginative name of “Red Sox.” (And way better than Guardians or Commanders, while we’re at it.)
Well, it certainly doesn’t translate well to other cities:
The Altoona Worcesters?
The Walla Walla Worcesters?
The Kalamzoo Worcesters?
I think not.
A great name would have been the Worcester Shiresauces.
I’m still trying to decide if Buffalo Bisons is stupid or awesome.