Pot-free, support marijuana legalization - anyone else in this boat?

Nope.

Never took illegal drugs, never took legal drugs, never got drunk and never will.

I think it’s hypocritical to ban pot, but allow tobacco and alcohol. I feel it’s all three or none, and since it’s very unlikely they’ll try another Prohibition…

Never touched the stuff. Nor other drugs.

And I think it should be legal. Thats not to say that if we made some drugs legal that we as a society would realize after a few years that from a practical point of view some drugs just should NOT be legal.

But, I am certainly willing to try that experiment and I really doubt that pot in particular would be any worse than cigarettes or booze.

I have never touched the stuff. I don’t even drink alcohol.

But, I am a social darwinist. I think we should legalize all drugs, and let natural selection take its course. Those who pursue self-gratification would die. Those who practice self-discipline would survive.

Oh, and we should also legalize prostitution. That way, the junkies would be able to support themselves until they O.D.

I nearly qualify. I tried what was reputed to be pot, grown inside someone’s apartment in Cambridge, Mass. Never felt a thing. But I am certainly in favor of legalization. But then I don’t think the government should make any drugs illegal.

For those of you who are anti-hemp hype, would you mind taking a gander at this thread?

Tried it once, didn’t like it. Still I support full legalization, and even did beforehand. My take is that drunks are a hell of a lot more dangerous to both themselves and others than stoners are. If alcohol is legal, then all less dangerous drugs should also be legal.

I was too risk-averse and control-freakish as a kid to try it. But ever since a pro-legalization sociology professor laid out the case, I have been for making it legal. It’s very silly to prohibit it in a society that allows cigarettes and alcohol.

(FWIW, hemp makes great diaper fabric - it is very absorbent with less bulk than cotton or microfiber.)

I’ve never smoked, never used drugs (except for the occasional legal prescription painkiller in the way it was intended by my dentist) and a bottle of kahlua will last quite a while in our house. That said, I absolutely support an end to prohibition. Let’s get this nonsense over with once and for all.

Prohibition does not work. Didn’t work for alcohol doesn’t work for drugs.

There are several other alternatives and I don’t pretend to know which would be best. But nothing could be worse than the situation that prohibition has created.

We could probably buy up the world supply of drugs at the source for the amount of money we waste trying to interdict them in the pipeline and host the users in prison.

I don’t like smoking of anything. But I understand a lot of people don’t share my view. I have a lot of friends who smoke dope and they are constructive working types. The dangers are way over stated. It should be legalized.
It would take a lot of the money out of rime lords pockets and cut down bribery of police and judges.

Sorry gotta call you out on that one. Hemp is a really, truly useful plant. Before it was banned in the US it fitted out our sailing fleet for over 100 years with sails and ropes. At one point it was even required that farmers in the colonies put some of their land in hemp production so that a supply was assured without import.

Wiki describes it thus:

There are some people that declare that if we legalize growing hemp it will change the world, that’s just silly. But there is no question that it would be an easily grown cash crop with multiple established markets.

The plant was originally banned for political reasons and it is only political gamesmanship that leaves it banned to this day.

In case anyone is not aware you would have to smoke a couple of pounds of the stuff to get any biochemical effect. Hemp is not a drug.

I am completely in favor of the legalization and extreme taxation of pretty much all illegal drugs. People are going to use it anyway, it’s ridiculous to turn it into a cost center (by way of the cost of law enforcement and imprisonment) when it could be a revenue stream.

I’ve never smoked marijuana, never used a heavier drug, barely use prescription drugs, and have a drink, singular, roughly once every three years.

Never touched the stuff, not even in college where it was effectively legal (a Cambridge cop told us they wouldn’t ever arrest anyone for pot unless they were selling to minors or growing it in a window overlooking the cop shop) and am not interested. But I’m for legalization.

Not just for civil liberties. A story on NPR on the Mexican drug cartels last night said that they get a lot of their money from selling marijuana to the US. Smoking anything now that you haven’t grown yourself or know got grown by a non-bastard grower seems unethical. Legalization would shut off this source of money, and save lives.

Yes. Except I have smoked it. I just wasn’t wild about it. You know that song that goes “no thank you please, it only makes me sneeze”? That.

But I don’t see why it shouldn’t be legal. I think it’s particularly foul that people can’t grown their own, for their own consumption. Whose business would that be, anyway?

I haven’t smoked in, like, . . . a month? but I’m still all about legalization. Does that count?

You’ll notice that hemp is perfectly legal in most of the world, and it isn’t the prime material for most of those applications. Hemp does wonderful things, but it isn’t the best at any of them. It has a niche market anywhere it is legal, the same will be true here.

I have never smoked pot. I will never smoke pot. It doesn’t appeal in the slightest to me.

But yes I fully support legalization. Albeit with the caveats that others have said, it needs to be properly regulated. And we might as well tax it too.

Never tried, & don’t want to.

But the violence & expense of enforcement have made its illegality impractical.

Because two lies make a truth?:dubious:

I will reply to the mythical value of Hemp in the other thread.

Here’s the definitive thread on hemp, however.
http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=533692&page=3&highlight=hemp