Powering iPhone from computer every night: is this OK?

I’d like to plug my iPhone into my computer every night for powering/syncing purposes.

Is it OK to power the phone solely from the computer? I didn’t know if there would be some kind of drain on anything, or if I should really be powering it directly from an outlet.

There’s no problem charging it only from a computer, but I have heard that it’s not a good idea to constantly “top up” the charge in rechargeable batteries - it’s better to let them totally discharge every once in a while, as this prolongs the life. Whether this is still true of modern batteries, I’m not sure.

NICads need to be fully discharged. No so with the lithium ion batteries commonly used now.

A USB port should have plenty of juice for an iphone.

I had a little trouble getting my mind around using the same USB cable and port to both charge my camera and transfer images to my computer. The charger is a wall wart with a USB port.

I’ve charged mine off the PC for the last two years, it seems to be working fine.

The only problem is that it insists on opening iTunes and synching every time I plug it in. Is there any way to stop that?

Under Edit>Preferences>Devices, there’s an option to prevent automatic synching.

I found this on Apple’s site "Use iPhone Regularly. For proper maintenance of a lithium-based battery, it’s important to keep the electrons in it moving occasionally. Be sure to go through at least one charge cycle per month (charging the battery to 100% and then completely running it down).

A related question: when my PC goes into sleep mode, is it still charging whatever (chargable) devices are plugged into its USB ports, or does the charging process stop as well?

It depends. But it is very easy to tell if my android phone is being charged. The charging sight comes on. My ipods also indicate that they are being charged so I would think that the iphone will also show this information.

My computers (HP laptop and iMac desktop) do not charge when they’re fully asleep. (My desktop is set to sleep the monitor at 15 minutes intervals. It will continue charging until everything goes to sleep at a 60 minute interval).

I have a USB hub with its own power source, and that will charge a device whether the computer is on or off.