Prescription Question

I need a non prescription form of

Cutivate Cream, 0.05%
         (fluticasone propionate cream)

This is made by GlaxoWellcome if that helps.
Any ideas of where I can get a substitute? Thanks for your help.

Closest OTC analog is Hydrocortisone 1%.

Some brands are, Cortizone-10, Lanacort.

I would suggest generic, usually much cheaper.

Christopher Reves, D.Ph.
Ole Miss '95
Play Dixie! Play Dixie!

As far as I am aware, this medication is not available OTC (I think that’s what you’re asking), nor is there any equivalent.

If you are asking how to obtain prescription-only meds without a prescription, I don’t think you will get any replies on that since I am almost certain that it is illegal. Cutivate is only available at .005% OTC.

I don’t think that was Fate was asking.

–Cliffy

Yeah I dont want to do anything illegal. I was just wanting something that would work the same and not have to go to the doctor to get the prescription. Cortizone doesnt work. I wonder what it is about the cutivate cream that works so well and why you cant get it OTC. Thanks for all of your help.

Fluticasone is a corticosteroid, but no, Cutivate is not the same thing as the 1% hydrocortisone cream, and AFAIK the prescription strength is not available OTC. It’s not listed here under “topical steroids available”.

http://www.corticosteroid.com/

That bit about “nasal” means that they also make inhalers with fluticasone in them.

If you’ve got an ongoing mysterious skin condition that you’re treating with corticosteroids, you definitely need to be under a doctor’s care, to keep an eye on it. It’s not a good idea to self-medicate with prescription-strength steroids. Like, “Well, I’ll just get some more of that Cutivate and do that for a while longer…” If the Cutivate isn’t working, then you need to go back to the doctor and find out why.

But you knew that, right? :wink: :smiley:

Bonzo had a weird skin thing last year, and it took us several tries to find something that worked.

Generally, drugs are classified prescription because of what could happen to you if you use them and you don’t need them. In the case of Cutivate, it’s a good bit stronger than hydrocortisone, and could have more side effects.
Steroids are powerful drugs.

As for more alternatives, if you live near Canada or Mexico, there are drugs available otc there that are prescription here – Claritin in Canada springs to mind. Sometimes, though, I’ve heard that US Customs frowns on importing drugs across the border.

Also, you might explore trying to remove the cause of your rash (assuming here) rather than trying to kill it with a cream. Have you changed a detergent or personal product?

Good Luck.