President Biden Orders Callup of Reservists for Europe

I didn’t see a thread on this, and it seems important:

Biden orders 3,000 reservists to be ready for Europe deployments - POLITICO.

Here is a link to the actual order:

Is this just because of the rcruitment shortfalls? Or are they worried about something?

I would like to know. Twitters turds are claiming ww3.

I think any rational person who’s actually paying attention since Russia invaded Ukraine has been worried about WWIII, but it seems a steep jump to think it’s that imminent, or that barely trained rookies are really going to do a lot of good in modern warfare anyway.

I think the most benign explanation is that the various military branches have been missing their recruitment goals for the past two years, and this has left gaps in the European command, and that’s not tolerable during a hot war.

So you call 'em up. That’s what they are there for. It might be right and necessary.

Less benign: They have worrisome intel and are shoring up.

Even less benign: Things are escalating and this may be the first of many callups. Notice the order only limits the callups to 3,000 at a time.

Right now I’m hoping for ‘benign’.

One important point: this is not an increase in EUCOM strength. This is allowing reserve components to participate in the deployment pool for current NATO commitments.

(emphasis added)

As such, it’s almost certainly to allow Regular forces to lower their tempo and reconstitute/recuperate/train Stateside more.

I think you’re right. It’s more of an authorization for 3000 reserve and presumably National Guard troops to be mobilized at a time.

It’s kind of a strange number - a Brigade Combat Team is about 4000-4700 troops, so 3000 must be for some combination of independent battalions to be mobilized to spell already deployed troops.

That’s a bad presumption. National Guard falls under Title 32 not Title 10 and can’t be called to active duty the same way. If they are calling up IRR and select reservists it will be as individual augmentees to fill shortfalls not as whole units. In general the NG has to be mobilized as units under mobilization orders. With some exceptions the Reserves are combat support and combat service support so there won’t be any reserve BCT. There are many National Guard BCT but it would require a different type of order to mobilize them.

How many US troops are routinely stationed in Europe?
I’m guessing that 3000 extra bodies is a very very small percentage.

My blind guess:
Could it be that the authorization for 3000 isn’t designed to be a “surge”?Could it just a bureaucratic necessity, to allow activating a few extra people who are needed right now to keep supplies flowing to Ukraine?
Maybe truck drivers, mechanics. electronic techs, even just warehouse workers?

Having been a reservist myself, I can state from experience that this is not an accurate statement. Most, if not all, of the reservists I served with were, like me, former active duty personnel who continued to serve and train part-time in case we were needed. Many held civilian jobs similar to what they did in the Reserves - mechanics, technicians, medical jobs… Reservists don’t dress up and play Army or Navy for fun.

There are about 7,000 troops in Europe for Operation Atlantic Resolve. That’s in addition to those that are stationed there permanently. The difference is those that are stationed there get to live there long term with their families. Those that are deployed there leave families behind. It’s a strain on the force. Most of those who are stationed there are in Germany. Most of Atlantic Resolve is in Eastern Europe. I doubt that most of the transport of goods is being done by soldiers. It’s most likely done by contractors. The mobilized reservists will be supporting the US combat troops that are there for the ongoing show of force.

There are a lot of support MOS that filled in the Reserves for this reason. There are more needed during extended deployments

In case anyone is wondering what Loach means here:

Either way, it’s a more piecemeal replacement program than I think people assume when they hear “3000 reservists called up for service in Europe”, which is that it’s a 3000 person combat unit deploying as one.

That’s right. Most people probably aren’t even aware of the long term rotating deployment. The reservists will augment the active duty units that have already been scheduled to go.

Why couldn’t I get a nice European deployment when I was in? I would have jumped at the chance to go to Poland.