Prime Minister Boris Johnson tries to lead the UK but has resigned on July 7, 2022

Basically the article says Boris has handled the situation poorly up to the present. Quite true. However almost every other country has done the same (exceptions a few countries in East Asia).

For handling the crisis from now on there is this possibility:

In any event I would much prefer to be governed by a government headed by Boris Johnson than one headed by Donald Trump.

To be fair, you are setting the bar pretty low there.

I’m not a Boris fan, but that article is basically a hack attack based on prejudice and hindsight. Johnson prioritised the economy and concluded that medium-scale social interventions would be sufficient to prevent the effects of the Coronavirus. When those interventions had unsuccessful results, he moved on to large-scale social interventions. With hindsight, he was late to do so, but it’s a matter of days, not weeks. I’m not aware of anyone in the UK who was calling for the current social restrictions as of the end of February. Someone could argue that they should have been implemented on 17 March instead of 24 March, but at that point the health authorities were hoping that voluntary self-isolation and social distancing would be effective.

There are plenty of things to criticise Boris for - the main one being Dominic Fucking Cumming - but at least he’s not Trump. He was slow off the mark but he did eventually leave the starting block and get running in the right direction. The real test will be how he continues.

And now Boris has tested positive for the coronavirus. Dominic Raab to stand in.

Johnson is an example of ‘be careful what you wish for’.

He’s always wanted to be Churchill, and now his Churchill moment has come… but he’s not up to it.

That’s going to concentrate some minds in government. I wonder if everyone he’s been in contact with in Downing Street over the past week is going to be tested/self-isolate. It’s unlikely that’s he’s the only one who’s got it.

That ship pretty much sailed, hit an iceberg and sank the moment he joked that the effort to manufacture a lot of ventilators quickly should be called “Operation Last Gasp”.

Not cool, Boris.

Here’s more on Raab, for those (like me) who don’t know of him: Dominic Raab - Wikipedia

Wait, what does it mean to “stand in”? Is Raab now making all the decisions? If so, is Johnson so sick that he can’t be trusted to make rational choices, or too weak physically to absorb information? Surely the PM would be able to teleconference and WF10DS like everyone else…?

Right now, what’s being reported is that the PM has a mild case, is holed up in a flat in 11 Downing Street, and is doing his job via phone and videoconference. If the PM gets more severe symptoms such as respiratory distress or extreme aching that makes it hard to move or think, then he’ll need to turn over decision-making to someone else. Dominic Raab, the Foreign Secretary, has been designated as that someone.

Generally the second most powerful member of the UK government is the chancellor. However, the current chancellor, Rishi Sunak, has only had the job for a few weeks and wasn’t a senior cabinet member before that. The next three most powerful members of the UK government, depending on the state of affairs at any given time, are the Home Secretary, the Foreign Secretary, and the Defence Secretary. However Dominic Raab was also appointed as the First Secretary of State. That office is essentially a title indicating that he’s the first among equals. Johnson indicating that Raab is the person who will stand in to make prime ministerial decisions, should Johnson become too ill to do so, is consistent with that appointment.

Just to make the UK Prime Minister line of succession even more ambiguous, there’s also the position of Deputy Prime Minister. That office holder has the role of taking over the Prime Minister’s duties in Parliament if he is unavailable, and is the nominal second leader of the government. However that position is usually given to the leader of a faction that isn’t loyal to the Prime Minister in order to boost that faction’s support. At the moment, there is no Deputy Prime Minister so it didn’t affect Johnson’s choice for naming a stand-in.

Yes, he’s not looking great and has reported a mild fever but Boris is WFH as much as possible. Raab is likely picking up some of the minor duties at the moment but Boris is still in charge.

As an aside I’ll mention that, while I’m not suggesting Sunak ought to be ready to stand in for the PM, for someone abruptly elevated to a high office he’s doing a pretty good job so far as Chancellor under the circumstances.

**Dominic Cummings self-isolates after experiencing coronavirus symptoms
Boris Johnson’s key adviser believed to have mild symptoms including a cough

Dominic Cummings was the one who advocated herd immunity (i.e. do nothing) and said, “If that means some pensioners die, too bad”.

There should be an icon for schadenfreude. :smiley:

I think schadenfreude will only apply if/when his symptoms are a little less mild. Not that I’m wishing that on him, of course.

OB

Bear in mind Johnson, Hancock*, Cummings et al will all officially be “Suffering from a mild form of the virus” right up until they need to be hooked up to a ventilator and/or drop dead.
*The health secretary, also infected.

Edit: Double Post.

Keir Starmer elected Labour leader - how do you think he’ll fare going head-to-head against Boris?

A LOT better than Corbyn. He’s a successful QC and experienced in conducting forensic questioning in court. He won’t let Johnson get away with much.

He’s also intelligent, capable, and reasonable - definitely the best choice for Labour leader.

It’s a big question as to whether it will be politics as usual or whether the Conservatives and Labour will work together as they did in World War II.