Prime Minister Boris Johnson tries to lead the UK but has resigned on July 7, 2022

This is the part I blame. That’s a majority the other way.

Of course you (collectively) did. That’s what votes are about.

As the US has learned, elections have consequences. Buyers’ remorse does not absolve responsibility, even for the people who didn’t vote that way. That’s how it works in a representative democracy - you can’t just say “I didn’t vote that way, not my fault”.

So I failed to persuade half the majority, 634,750 UK citizens (I prefer to identify myself as a subject of HM The Queen, but never mind) to vote the other way? And some of them I don’t even know? Well, sorry about that.

So I guess it’s collectively my fault.
Except, I’m not a collective.

You’re speaking more out of rage than logic. You’re blaming the people on your side, which only leads to more strife within and strengthens the opposition. Is that really what you want?

Welcome to standard American Democratic Party discourse.

Maybe next time you will vote harder.

ETA: This is a practical application of Rule 2.

Of course, Boris has his own views on buyer’s remorse:

But unpalatable or not, I have to agree with his assumption that only the buyer can suffer buyer’s remorse.

I did not ‘buy’ Brexit.
I did not ‘buy’ BoJo’s ‘Get Brexit Done’ government.
I opposed both, with all the meager strength at my disposal.

So don’t accuse me of buyer’s remorse.
It’s not my fault.

No rage, just a reflection of what the situation of how it has been in the US.

Actually, if anything, there’s less responsibility on the US side - there aren’t distinct areas like Scotland or NI in the US that went distinctly differently.

But it was still our collective responsibility to deal with that, even if it wasn’t the way most of us voted. I recall more than a few in the UK saying similar things about things over here. Now that the shoe is on the other foot, apparently this is no longer the case?

In the end, elections have consequences. The outcome is still our responsibility, even if it isn’t entirely our fault. Even those of us who didn’t vote for him took our lumps for Trump because that’s what it means to be part of a democracy. We can’t absolve ourselves entirely of responsibility or blame either way.

Don’t blame the victim(s).

How about Georgia, Virginia, and the Upper Midwest states that went red in 2016?

Disseminate much? You’re saying it was the voting public’s “collective responsibility,” but you didn’t get the votes you needed. That’s like saying it’s the girl’s fault for getting raped because she wore skimpy clothing.

Anyway, we’ve hijacked the thread enough. Apologies to our UK friends.

Thanks, but no apologies necessary. We have similar people over here, too.

Rumours of Boris Johnson parties at 10 Downing St start to attract gatecrashers.

Well, who wouldn’t want to get in on (illegal) fun like that?

Some clever person has superimposed Boris into an episode of “Would I Lie To You?”:

Looks like a lot of those big ego business tycoons, who donated large amounts of money to see Brexit done, are now saying there will be no more money for the Conservative Party until Boris goes.

While the Conservative party members can only bend the ear of their local MP with emails and calls protesting at partygate. These money men have bought a lot more influence. Almost as much as media barons like Murdoch and tabloid newspaper editors.

Wonderful to see democracy in action in the Conservative Party.

Love it!!!

BoJo insists that David Mitchell is incorrect:

Of course he does. But is the fact that he’s having to do so mess enough to outweigh the more limited question whether he lied to Parliament (at least for the 54+ Tory MPs needed to trigger a leadership vote or the 181+ needed to eject him)?

If you like that one, you may like the Line of Duty one as well, courtesy of Led By Donkeys.

I feel like whoever makes these could get some mileage out of deepfaking the first minute of this The Thick Of It bit… they’re talking about a media lockdown, but put Cummings’ face over Tucker’s and BoJo’s over … everyone else :slight_smile:

The bit later on where hanger-on Ben is asked “Why did you come in here with a bucket of shit and a whisk?” and replies:

“I’m bored, it’s funny, and I hate you”

is actually a pretty good model of the motivations for Dominic Cummings’ persistent interventions in this saga.

So Prime Minister’s Questions began with a Conservative MP, Christian Wakeford from the red wall seat of Bury South, defecting to Labour. It ended with the prominent Conservative MP and former cabinet minister David Davis calling for the PM to go. Johnson was more belligerent than in the last PMQ’s and did a good job of talking up his government’s successes. But it was a bit like a football (soccer) match where the team manager says his team played well and would have had a 0-0 draw except for the two own goals at the beginning and end of the match.