Prince Andrew to lose HRH and military titles - just breaking (01-13-21)

Woah this is big. I’ve just had a BBC alert on my phone. Nothing on any news site yet 9including the BBC).

Ah, this just posted. No further info yet:

I hope he ends up facing real consequences too

He might just - I wasn’t expecting this sort of development at all. Woah indeed.

j

It looks like he will have to finance the case himself too. The Queen is not going to bail him out financially.

At least, I assume that’s what’s implied by saying he will be “defending this case as a private citizen”.

He’s now Mr. Edward to you.

Well, that’s a horse of another color.

Good grief, the Royals are dropping (titles) like flies!

He will still be a prince, but will do no public appearances under the auspices of The Crown. Military titles gone, no more things to be patron of. I don’t know if he’s guilty (I’m not following the story), but at least ERII is making him face this on his own.

Considering the title Duke of York (along with Earl of Inverness and Baron Kellyleagh) will revert to the Crown anyways upon his death, can ER2 strip him of those titles? Or would it take an act of Parliament? And if Parliament did that, is there any chance she would refuse Royal Assent?

The UK isn’t going to extradite him. This is a PR move. An understandable one, but that’s all it is.

As far as I know, he’s just being sued civilly, not charged with a crime.

The article linked to in the OP says “loses military titles and patronages.” Other news sources say essentially the same thing but use different words in their headlines: “renounces,” “gives up,” “stripped of,” etc. Which in my mind change the connotations a little, making it sound more voluntary or less voluntary on his part.

The honorary titles are granted by the Queen so can be removed without bothering parliament who have their own problems at the moment. But, of course, Andrew could simply have said ‘Take them, take them all…’.

Another thing reported recently is the good PA was sued in Switzerland over a debt of £5m - I thought that story would have more legs rather than simply ‘disappearing’…

Interesting this hit the news the same time as this:

What are the odds one of the John Does has the surname Windsor?

If you want some insight into a story like this, the place to go is The Spectator, because they have contacts in royal circles.

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/the-decline-and-fall-of-prince-andrew/amp

The statement from the Palace says that he is defending himself as a “private citizen,” but what private resources does he have in order to pay for all of that? Isn’t all of his income tied to his duties as a royal?

I won’t say he doesn’t belong there, but he’s joining a mighty tall stack of bodies they’ve thrown under that same bus.

As voluntary as your boss giving you the option to resign.

If you follow cytop’s link about his Swiss debt, you’ll see that he’s selling an £18 million chalet, which is speculated to be in order to pay upcoming legal fees.

Good. Now abolish all hereditary monarchies worldwide.