Prince Charles And His Medals

I totaly agree Coldfire. That’s exactly why I support NZ retaining the Queen as head of state. If we didn’t have her we would have to have a president and who needs more bloody politicians.

Well if the discussion has moved on from Charles and his medals (which is just a sick joke and an insult to those who have earned their medals), it’s not having a King or a Queen that gets up my nose - it’s the hundreds of hangers - on (minor princes etc etc.)who live off the fat of the land and contribute nothing except column inches in the tabloids.

As far as I can determine, around the time George III took the throne, he surrendered the revenues from the royal family’s personal property to the use of the civil government. This amount far outstrips the amount the government pays for the upkeep of the royal family.

From Wikipedia:

I can’t find a cite, but I read within the last couple of years that, in documents only just revealed, an early 20thC monarch wrote to the Chancellor saying that the royals’ finances were on their last legs, and if they continued to have to pay tax, they would have to get rid of, amongst other things, the royal polo ponies. It was at this point they ceased to pay income tax. However:

That said, things like rental income from the Duchy of Cornwall (Prince Charles’s cash cow: 571 km² of land) are not subject to tax. Charles paid tax on this voluntarily, but reduced the proportion of tax he paid when he got married to Diana.

No , they just need to clarify it

from that same link you provided.

The Royal Navy operated full size aircraft carriers up until the late 70’s , when the Royal navy transitioned to the through deck cruiser and assault carriers(helo), then the F-4 phantoms in Naval service , were transfered over to the RAF.

Which may explain why he flew the phantom, but was never in an operational squadron, other than the flutter wings.

Declan

Bollocks. When in full military uniform, Prince Charles wears precisely five military medals. All the order stars and his neck badge are civilian decorations. His handful of military medals are service medals of the sort that are given to all members of the armed services. No big deal, but then you’re the only person who wants to claim that they are.

Right. He could just as well wear them in civilian full-formal dress. But somehow people find it hard to understand that there exist such things as decorations that, for all their high-falutin’ pomp, are not awards of merit, but mere ceremonial “honors”, just the national-level equivalent of getting the “keys to the city”, having next Saturday proclaimed Joe Blow Day in the county your Tour is visiting, or my own commission as a Kentucky Colonel, which in no way demeans anyone wearing the “full birds” in that state’s National Guard or the US Army.

“Insulting” to Veterans would be if Chuck were to wear a Victoria Cross, for instance. And they would know it when they saw it.

Ridiculous! How many dopers have been to London and seen anything more of the royals than the buildings they inhabit? Keep in mind that those buildings are centuries old and bear the marks of history. They are worth seeing whether there are any royals living in them or not. I’ve never seen a royal, nor ever hope to, but of all the places in the world I’ve seen, England is the single foreign destination I’d return to. I just don’t have the resources these days to do it. Maybe if I win the Lotto. :wink:

As for Charles, I think he fairly defines the term “stuffed shirt,” except that in his case, with all the medals and honors, most of the stuffing is on the outside.

As far as I’m concerned, the Royals who actually do spend most of their time doing PR and charity work, and live their life under a microscope of a power beyond the comprehension of any entertainment celebrity, are entitled to everything they get and own.

Let’s see…if you wanted to put me in the Prince Of Wales’ shoes and make me put up with that lifestyle, you’d have to give me the umpteen titles that he has plus all the assets.

One of the royals I believe husband of queen Elisabeth is one funny and sometimes not politically correct guy(his jokes are hillarious).
All those medalls Prince of Whales has are just like some VIP gets honorary professoship of sciences at university.

Far as I’m aware, the Civil List doesn’t exist anymore. It was exchanged for the Consolidated Fund quite some time ago. The difference between the civil list and the consolidated fund is that the civil list was an entitlement which the queen had. Whereas the consolidated fund is an allowance given to the queen by the Treasury.

Quite an important difference because it means that the money the queen receives is a privilege rather than a right. And it gives Parliament the right to adjust it every year (either up or down) when the Consolidated Fund Act comes up for annual renewal.

I think the Royal Office put up quite a fight when the Consolidated Fund Act first appeared but in the end they were forced to accept it.