Double post
My WAG: “jail” is a verb and prison isn’t. A jailer means one who jails, an imprisoner.
If vegetarians eat vegetables, then what do humanitarians eat?
[QUOTE=pravnik]
My WAG: “jail” is a verb and prison isn’t. A jailer means one who jails, an imprisoner.
[/QUOTE]
Makes the most sense of anything I’ve encountered.
[QUOTE=Qadgop the Mercotan]
Makes the most sense of anything I’ve encountered.
[/QUOTE]
I agree.
ETA: … So that means I would be a hospitaler. And the guy who put me there, the beat-upper.
Yay! I’m helping, I’m helping! (clap clap)
As stated, “jail” is the verb. So a jailer is one who jails.
In the same way a carpenter is one who carps, a butcher is one who buthes and a lawyer is one who laws.
[QUOTE=tdn]
What, exactly, does a teller tell?
[/QUOTE]
Money.
This is also the etymology behind “all told,” as MW11 explains in its example at that entry, “eight guests all told.”
[QUOTE=Scarlett67]
Any others?
[/QUOTE]
“Reader” can refer to a type of book, as well as to the person who peruses its pages.
[QUOTE=Eva Luna]
If vegetarians eat vegetables, then what do humanitarians eat?
[/QUOTE]
Modern texts of 500 year old literature.
Personally, I love the weirdness of the English language.
Like in the sentence, “It is raining” what noun does the pronoun ‘it’ replace? It’s fun to watch people working really hard to come up with an answer to that one.
[QUOTE=Qadgop the Mercotan]
Okay, why is a prisoner someone who is kept confined in a prison, while a jailer is someone who keeps someone else confined in a jail? ![]()
[/QUOTE]
Frankly, I’m a bit disappointed… I was hoping for another “You people won’t believe what I deal with at work” thread from QtM…
:smack:
[QUOTE=EJsGirl]
Frankly, I’m a bit disappointed… I was hoping for another “You people won’t believe what I deal with at work” thread from QtM…
[/QUOTE]
Oh, I’ve got tons of stuff to tell, but every time I do, I get hammered by posters who accuse me of violating HIPAA (which I don’t violate, as I’m quite well versed on what’s both legal under HIPAA, and ethical among physician/patient relations).
I just eventually got sick of fighting about it.
[QUOTE=Boyo Jim]
There really should be a word prisonies. These are people who marry prisoners, derived from groupies.
[/QUOTE]
groupies marry groupers? Gay marriage really is a slippery slope!
Old, I know, but it fits:
The opposite of Pro- is Con-.
So the opposite of progress is Congress.
[QUOTE=Boyo Jim]
There are dressers who dress people, and theater sets too.
[/QUOTE]
I’ve been to plenty of theaters and never once did I see one theat.