A bill is being proposed that would require web sites containing material deemed harmful to minors to give up their .com addresses and adopt a .prn or some other address that would designate it as containing adult material.
See bottom half of this
- Porn has every right to be on the internet.
- Parents should be able to restrict access to objectional material fairly easily.
- Current content based filtering software doesn’t work very well. It tends to filter more than what it should, and it isn’t too hard to design a site that will slip though its defenses.
- This would make filtering a trivial and nearly foolproof task.
- It would be pretty cheap to implement.
- I don’t see how it would limit free speech.
This looks like a pretty good idea to me. I am missing some hidden problem with it?
I could think of some suggestions to help ease the transition. The registrars could/should offer to convert existing .com’s to .prn’s at a rate less than the cost of a whole new domain, for example.