Probably the best obituary I have ever read!

Sorry, I still side with Tom Lehrer

"December 13th 1964, there appeared in the newspapers the juiciest, spiciest, raciest obituary that has ever been my pleasure to read. It was that of a lady name Alma Mahler Gropius Werfel who had, in her lifetime, managed to acquire as lovers practically all of the top creative men in central Europe, and, among these lovers, who were listed in the obituary, by the way, which was what made it so interesting, there were three whom she went so far as to marry.

One of the leading composers of the day: Gustav Mahler, composer of Das Lied von der Erde and other light classics. One of the leading architects: Walter Gropius of the Bauhaus school of design. And one of the leading writers: Franz Werfel, author of the song of Bernadette and other masterpieces. It’s people like that who make you realize how little you’ve accomplished. It is a sobering thought, for example, that when Mozart was my age he had been dead for two years. It seemed to me, I’m reading this obituary, that the story of Alma was the stuff of which ballads should be made so here is one

While I don’t know whether I would’ve liked Harry personally or not, I have to say that for an obituary, I just didn’t care for this style at all. It was so boring and obsequious that I lost interest halfway through and didn’t finish.

Thumbs down on this obit for me.

This obituary has gone viral now. I even saw a report about it on MSN news service.

If that is in fact the case, I hope 1,077 views on SDMB had something to do with it!

I just went and Googled “Harry Stamps obituary” and came up with many many hits. This is just one.

The word “iconoclast” comes to mind.

Over the holidays, my mother pointed out this one. Check out the Oak Park Mall coffee meet ups at the end.

The obit says he hated phonies. Do you think he got that from Catcher in the Rye, or was Harry hating phonies before it was cool?