probiotics/c-difficile

After reading your info reguarding probiotics I feel that there is one thing that you missed. As a C-Diff sufferer for 3 years, (yes,I said 3 years) I am qualified to answer this one. Yup, had the fecal transplant thing twice. First one did not work cause my wimpy GI Dr. thought he could get away with doing one via a lower sigmoidoscope rather than a full blown colonoscopy. Insist on a colonoscopy. Anyway, if you are taking antibiotics for any reason, its not a bad idea to chuck down some extra probiotics, pill form or yogurt form or both to try and not get C-Diff. C-Diff is way more than some annoying diarreha. Not to get gross but think about the scene from tne Exorsist only the other way for days and weeks on end and you will get the idea. Dont want that, no way, no how, and the other thing is that the meds go on forever and some are as costly as $1200.00 for a 10 day script and they collapse your veins for some reason. Much easier to take somse probiotics with that antibiotic and not have to go there at all. Hope this saves someone from that misery. Cured at last!

I get that she had some poop trouble, but don’t think I want to know how sprinklergal got her name.

here’s the poop

Probiotics definitely helped cut down my allergic reactions to many foods because of cross reactions with pollens. I suffered for years until my new doc (MD plus alternative) put me on S-Boulardii, a non-colonizing yeast. You take high doses at first, but then you will know when to do a maintenance dose. I also still take the bacterial probiotics I had taken before.

Probiotics should be rotated and I even take one made from a human preparation. This doc said, “Your immune system is in your gut”. My husband and I take a probiotic daily. They have certainly improved the quality of my life! (My husband hopes they are acting to help his immune system and thus help as a preventive against the return of his cancer. So far so good, but of course there are many variables with cancer.)

A friend recently had terrible diarrhea after being on antibiotics. His doctors tested for C-diif but fortunately it wasn’t. When I heard about it, I told him to take S-Boulardii. He started to improve the very next day and fully recovered shortly. When he told his doc later he said, “Good idea”.

Question - why do docs not advise the use of probiotics when they prescribe antibiotics?

Because as of yet there have been no clinical trials with commercial probiotics, to my knowledge. When I went on clindamycin for cellulitis, I did a little research to see which probiotic would be most effective and the only studies I could find were with lab-created yeast blends not available for sale. They had good results but the data doesn’t help us, the consumer, to choose something at the drug store. I don’t think there’s anything wrong with taking a probiotic, but I had good results watching my diet and eating a lot of fruits, veggies and complex carbs while avoiding heavily processed and sugared items.

After years of frequent digestive problems (gas, constipation etc ) I gave probiotics a try. They worked and they worked quickly; within a week I was feeling better than I had felt for years. All of my problems were resolved. I doubt that this is due to the placebo effect .

I read all that was said here regarding the lack of effectiveness, but if you are suffering, it is worth a try.

I’m afraid that I’m going to need a bit more data. A personal(and anonymous) anecdote that probiotics solved all your problems within a week of taking them sounds just a bit too good to be true.

Actually I think that is the placebo effect. I’ve been taking placebos for decades and haven’t died yet.

That’s a bit tautological. (If you knew it was just a placebo effect, then it couldn’t possibly have been.)
Powers &8^]

The infectious disease doc I was seeing that was trying to help me rule out infection vs. arthritis/autoimmune prescribed a powerful bacteriostatic drug. I believe it was Zyvox. He also prescribed a probiotic at the same time in case of diarrhea etc. I took it after a few days (into the 2+ week of antibiotic treatment) and it cleared the tummy problems right up.

Just a data point.

Another data point - a friend living in France was prescribed probiotics at the same time she was prescribed antibiotics for a UTI. She’s under the impression that this is common practice, at least where she’s living.

This would seem to support the notion that probiotics may well play a valuable role in health. Or at least that it’s a field worth further study.