Projected low of 42 C - keep warm, western Dopers!

Really strong. Everybody was on their feet.

Obligatory Jimmy Kimmel Link

This is what my kitchen window looked like this late afternoon. Lots of frost on the window, and the sun going down behind it looked quite spectacular and sparkly. :slight_smile:

One doesn’t necessarily need quantity in one’s audience, so long as there’s at least one person who appreciates one’s art! I think the fact that the typo is in the title, rather than the post itself, makes it a bit harder to spot, but as it amused me, I figured I’d post.

Yeah, I honestly thought this thread would be about Western Australia or something, and the “keep warm” was a snide jeer – a sort of “sucks to be you, Australians!” (And I thought Canadians were nice.) :slight_smile:

I don’t know if it was a typo per se. We don’t always bother to specify that temperatures are negative, in much the same way most people don’t bother to specify when temperatures are positive.

I knew I couldn’t be the only one…

Really? That surprises me; I assume temperature values are positive unless otherwise specified. You’re correct that I wouldn’t say “It’s now plus five degrees”, but I would always mention the negative.

Would you only mention the sign when the numbers are close to 0? “A low of 10” is very different when you’re talking about -10 C vs +10 C.

Why would that surprise you? It’s been below 0C nonstop for the last 3 months. If I tell someone it’s 15 out they’re not going to wonder which side of 0 I’m talking about. In fact, at this time of you have to definitively declare a temperature to be above zero. If I say the forecast is to get all the way up to 2 on Friday I’ll be assumed to be talking about -2. So, case in point, our current long range forecast has a high of 2 on Saturday and +2 on Sunday. After a month of highs in the 15-20 range that’s a welcome change.

From the sounds of it, that might have been due to trying to keep from freezing, not the band.

That’s beautiful but I still wouldn’t want to live within 500 miles of you. Not worth it!

Yay! it warmed up enough to snow today! big, fluffy white flakes.

Sorry, that sounds confusing to me. If it’s -5, I say it’s -5. :slight_smile:

Minus signs are for wusses. :cool:

Because that’s not done in any other situation? It’s not just temperature where you specify negative but not positive. It’s numbers in general. Plus, I’ve seen forecasts from many cold places, and the negative sign is definitely there.

In fact, I was sure this thread was going to be about how the weather forecaster left out the negative sign, and how ridiculous a low of 40C (around 100F) actually was.

I’m trying not to take that personally. :stuck_out_tongue:

Yes, I found that post to be very odd. I have never heard of someone intentionally not specifying “minus” or “negative” when they are talking about negative numbers.
Of course you would use the minus/negative sign. It would be confusing not to.

Not necessarily.

In a Canadian winter, it is quite common for the following dialogue to occur:

A: How cold is it?
B: Forty-two, with a wind chill to forty-seven.
A: Crap, that’s cold.

Context is everything. We’re in Canada, it’s winter, it hasn’t been above 0 degrees C in months, and we all understand that any temperature will be below 0C. So we omit the “plus” and “minus” designations; because, well, they will always be minus at this time of year.

Note that in the case of a sudden heat wave (relatively speaking), we’ll put in the designations: “It’s going to be plus-one on Wednesday!” But if temps have been in the double-digits below zero degrees C, it is not uncommon for us to omit the “plus” and “minus” designators between ourselves.

I would suggest that our Canadian friends forgot that they were addressing an international message board, and used Canadian colloquialisms. Those were misunderstood by the international audience.

Still seems strange to me, I must admit. It seems like such a small thing to omit, with not much benefit, that can cause a great deal of confusion. But you’re right in that context is everything, though I’m obviously not the only person in this thread who was confused.

I think that’s it. “Western dopers” could refer to a lot of people on an international board like this one. :slight_smile:

If you life in the North America, do you always specify the minus on your longitude?

Projected high of 2 today, 9 tomorrow - at freaking last! I’m getting awfully tired of being so cold.