Can anyone give me some guidance on pronouncing Indian names. I seem to get lost in the middle. It may be that I am putting stress on the wrong parts or not breaking them into syllables correctly. I am tone deaf and don’t have a great deal of talent at intentional imitation, but I do well enough on even fairly complicated words in English and German, at least partly because I know a general set of rules to apply. For example I can say Deoxyribonucleic acid without shortening it to DNA and and Lebensversicherung presents no trouble to me, so I think I should be able to tackle Venkatramana, Radhakrishnan, Surawatanaporn, and Madhusudhanan. Is dh like th, or do the syllables break between the d and the h? What are the general rules for stressing syllables? Any advice would be welcome. I do realize that there are many, many dialects and even languages in India, so general rules may not exist.
BTW, I have heard that India is an exonym. If so, what is the actual name of the country and how do I say it?