Pronouncing Russian names (like Putin)

D’oh! You learn something new every thread.

So, POOtjin.

Thanks!

[symbol]P[/symbol]ymuH

Heh. Cheap but effective, eh Jomo?

Of course, you’ll never render the reverse-N that way.

The only portable way I’ve found to render Cyrillic in arbitrary (or semi-arbitrary) browsers is UTF-8. Unfortunately, UTF-8 HTML entities are not named. You must type in numeric codes by hand for each letter.

This website has a CGI script to convert Unicode Cyrillic to UTF-8 HTML entities. As a backup, it also has a long collection of Cyrillic characters right beside the entities that represent them. Copy and paste the entities (ugly buggers beginning with an &' and ending with a ;’) into a post and the SDMB software will honor them, meaning they’ll show up right on any browser that supports UTF-8 (most modern browsers, even MSIE).

For reference, and as an example, here is a tag from Fark.ru in HTML entities (courtesy of the script):

Чашка кофе - отличный повод для секса

(I guess it’s something about Kobe. I have no idea if I’m even close.)

Can I retract my guess? I recognize the ф now - it makes an `f’ sound, right? As in Aeroflot?

Yes. Or “coffee”

Cicada: Well, I learned it from looking at the sides of Russian aircraft I saw in pictures. I knew the English spelling of the Russian aviation concern, and I know my way around the Greek alphabet pretty well (due to an interest in physics and math, not the Greek language per se), so once I saw the text the connection was made.

I’m still fascinated with the Cyrillic alphabet, and my knowledge of Russian still ends at da' and nyet’.

Russian is a pretty cool language to study, and knowing Greek helps, somewhat. It’s been some years since I studied it–like, 30–so all I really remember is the Cyrillic alphabet, which means I can pick phonetically spelled cognates (I think that’s the word) out, or Russian words that have become known in America (like Pravda). Or words picked up by Russian from English, like “coffee.”

My Russian teacher told us if we kept up with the language we would never need facelifts because we’d be working so many more facial muscles, speaking Russian. Unfortunately, didn’t heed her advice . . .

. . . on second thought, or even third thought, the Russians probably didn’t pick up êîôå from English . . .

ahem, that should be . . . oh never mind. (I should have been suspicious when it looked right without preview.

“A cup of coffee: a great reason for sex.”

Unless there’s more ocntext, then no.

Eva: Given that it’s from FARK, I’d say that’s a very good translation. :smiley: