Proper way to salt popcorn?

I recently got a microwave popcorn popper.

The way I’ve always salted popcorn is to put the salt in with the kernels and oil before popping. That way, it’s salted and the salt sticks to the kernels when it’s done popping and no need to mix it post pop. Microwaving it works fine even without any kind of oil.

My teenager questioned whether it’s more proper to salt before the pop or post popping? I turn to the wisdom of the Dope on this.

Note: my alternative is to pop without salt, and then sprinkle/mix soy sauce in with the popcorn. You can also sprinkle brewers yeast in as well. Tasty.

Bonus question: what’s the best way to “herb” popcorn? For example, basil does not seem to be conducive to being mixed in with the oil, salt and popcorn and then microwaved. I haven’t tried mixing it in post pop, but that should be way to go. Voice of experience please chime in here…

Use fine grained popcorn salt, which tends to stick to the kernels better than regular kosher/table salt - you can buy it, or make it by whizzing up the latter in a coffee grinder or food processor.

+1 on this.

Also, as a salt alternative - good old Kraft grated Parmesan is a nice topping. It will stick better after a spritz of aerosol olive oil.

If you have a spice grinder, you can make your own handy dandy popcorn salt just by running regular salt through the spice grinder for 15 seconds.

I don’t know if this is proper, but I have a hot air popper and a squirt bottle filled with extra virgin olive oil. As the popped corn falls out of the popper and collects in the receptacle (medium size pot, as it fits just perfect under the popper chute so the kernels don’t fly off every which way) i douse it with the oil. Then when it’s all in the pot I sprinkle over a little salt right out of the shaker or sometimes even right out of the container it comes in, and A LOT of yeast, in that order (Nice to meet a fellow yeaster, BTW. I prefer large flake nutritional, sold in bulk. You?) I put on one layer as such, then give the pot a couple gentle up-down jostles, then put on another layer and let it lie just like that. Occasionally I mix it up with some parm (I find the sawdust kind out of the can works best) and rarely herbs - haven’t done that in quite a while - never preferred it much - when I did I just layered it in between the salt and yeast.

Always looking for process improvements. Think I’ll try that salt grinder thing.

Then you get popcorn that smells like coffee or cloves or whatever.

1. Fill this with this.

2. Pour over popcorn.

There is flavored popcorn salt you can buy. Some creative flavors out there too.

Like smoked Guoda or Pepper and Asiogo

1. Pop corn.

2. Melt butter with some lemon olive oil.

3. Put #2 on #1.

4. Add salt.

It ain’t rocket science.

1. Pop corn in medium saucepan on stove with a tablespoon of oil.

2. Melt ghee(clarified butter) in microwave.

3. Apply 2 to 1 in a large bowl.

4. Salt with finely ground salt as other posters have suggested.

Using ghee means there’s no water going in your popcorn to make it soggy of chewy. Just light fluffy crispy buttery salty goodness.

If you’re bad at cleaning out spice grinders you will.

Pop the corn, dry (I use a hot-air popper) into a big bowl.

Very, very gently, hand-sprinkle just a little water over it.

Salt like heck. Or sprinkle with Mrs. Dash! Yum, that’s good!

Make darn sure you’ve got toothpicks and dental floss handy.

I also use a hot air popper. I like to give the popcorn a light spray of Pam, and then regular salt sticks. But I will try grinding up some homemade popcorn salt. People who hate air popped complain that the complete lack of oil is what makes the popcorn horrible, so I figure I’ll just spray a bit on afterward – no harm, no foul.

Arkcon: Whoo! Lovely idea! I am so gonna try that! Thanks!

That’s almost exactly what I do. No lemon in the olive oil, but I do 1/2 butter and 1/2 olive oil. Otherwise, yep!

I use a microwave popping bowl. A small dab of butter on top of the corn, pop it, add a little bit of (big grain) kosher salt and stir with the butter knife. If only iodized salt is available, then no salt.

I can tell you how it’s done with commercially-made popcorn, though I’m not sure how helpful that actually is for home use.

The big popcorn machines (like the movie theater ones) use coconut oil and a veeery finely powdered salt that’s both thrown in together with the kernels at the start of the popping process. That way the salt’s evenly distributed and actually sticks to the popcorn properly. Sprinkling the exact same kind of salt on top of the popcorn after the popping process really will not give the same result.

Took the words right out of my bowl. Just one more of the million excellent reasons for ghee.

I find it oddly unpleasant when making my way through popcorn and suddenly bite down on one full of melted butter. It feels weirdly cold and wet in contrast to the hot, dry popcorn all around it. Even preheated butter that goes on hot produces this effect. Ghee is totally the answer, though olive oil works just as well, for the reason you gave: no water. When I make ghee, the finished volume is only 2/3 of what I started with because all that water boiled away.

Nutritional yeast, sprinkled on fresh popcorn. I know it sounds weird but trust me.

+1 and an “OMG, yes!” A thousand times better than any cheese popcorn you can buy. Also good with Romano cheese.