Properly cooking a burger

I make the patties about 1/2" thick, maybe a little less, and as uniformly flat as I can get them. I dislike the thick-in-the-middle, pillow-shaped burgers people tend to make when they hand-form the patties.

I use a stovetop griddle. I put the patty on, leave it for about 2 minutes, flip, then drop a slice of onion and cheese on top, then cover with a metal bowl for another 2 minutes or so.

You might want to try a Thai dao cooker. It is barely deep enough to hold two layers of coals but the grill holds the meat so close to the coals it doesn’t matter.

Personally I like burgers cooked over intense heat. The method requires constant vigil but the result is a nice char on the outside and a pinkish hue on the inside. Of course they should be think but not too thick. I add sauteed garlic and shallots to the ground beef with s&p and maybe a sprinkle of Montreal seasoning.

2 ways -

a) 1/2" thick - salt/pepper/onion/garlic - cook to desired done-ness over the grill on high heat

b) super thin - salt/pepper/onion/garlic - cook high heat on a cast iron griddle on the grill.

The trick is to mix your meat - 1/2 ground chuck + 1/2 ground sirloin.

It’s one of the best things I ever learned from Alton Brown.

I go to one trusted store and buy 2.1 lbs of prime ground. I have a perfect sized bowl that I use as a mold for all my burgers and I divide the bulk into thirds so each is .7 lbs. I press the meat into the mold until it’s flush and even all the way around, probably about 1 1/4 inches thick or a little more, then season both sides evenly. This goes outdoor on my propane grill where it’s turned once, flipped and then turned again. Final product is pink and juicy on the inside. Cheese and chimmichurri follow on a toasted onion bun. It’s been years since I cooked one indoors but that’s just me.

This appeals to my inner savage.

I make my patties about 3/4" thick, using a little creme brulee dish that happens to be just the right size. I line it with wax paper and flatten the beef down into it, then lift it out with the paper, so they’re all consistent size and thickness. I give them a quick sear on a hot grill, then back it down a little to finish them. (Unless I need to cook multiple batches, in which case I try to keep heat even throughout, rather than mess with bringing it up and down.) I don’t cover them, but I baste them with a seasoned olive oil blend for flavor and to keep them moist.

Sometimes I spread bacon slices on the upper grill so the bacon drippings will fall on the burgers when the grill is closed. It’s prone to causing flare-ups, though.

I’m a bit surprised to be the first to mention forming (big fat) burger patties with a dent in each side. This means your burger will flatten out as it cooks, instead of doming up.

When you’re done cooking, put the cover on and close all the vents. The coals will smother quickly, and next time you use the grill you’ll start with about half a chimney of partially burned coals. This trick probably saves me about 1/3 of the quantity of charcoal I used to use.