Proposal to explicitly ban sexism from the game room

MLS max salary is complicated as well. MLS has 3 “designated players” which don’t count against the salary cap. So their max is theoretically unlimited. Right now Carlos Vela has the highest salary at $6.3mil a season for LAFC.

Sometimes. Depends on the discussion at hand. In comparing the relative enjoyment of watching NBA and WNBA basketball, it seems clear that “Athleticism” is best defined as being how good those people are at playing basketball, and observed that NBA players are much more athletic than WNBA players, in that sense, is not an offensive statement. In other contexts, that definition would not make any sense to use, and claiming women are unathletic might be an incredibly offensive statement.

It kinda does.

I mean not explicitly.

And what would this entail?

“I really like woman’s beach volleyball”= banning.

“Should there be female players in the NFL?”= banning.

True, and that is not misogynistic in the slightest. But it could be considered sexism, under some definitions.

The proposal here is to ban sexism not misogyny . Using that topic banned poster as an example of the sort of thing we need to ban is a false example. He was practicing misogyny.

Can the Op show the kind of posts he’d want banned? Posts that are just simply sexist, not misogynistic?

That is not true. I agree that that is a issue unrelated to the OP, but no need to add a untrue statement.

Indeed, that is exactly the desired outcome. Now, when you don’t agree with a posters viewpoint, you can get it moderated for all sorts of “violations”- racism, sexism, etc.

Exactly. It is hard enough to define and show misogyny, but then expanding that to sexism would turn an entire forum to a minefield. I mean even saying you are a big fan of men’s professional hockey can be reported for sexism- and will be so reported if you are disagreeing with any of a certain crowd here that want to control what everyone says with no room for disagreement.

And that crowd just wants another reason to report posters they don’t agree with.

Yes, it is.

When people say “Sexism,” they rarely mean, or intend to mean, simply “observing a distinction between the sexes.” They almost invariably mean a distinction between the sexes that is bigoted or unfair.

It’s like when people say “discrimination is wrong.” Clearly, such people do not mean ANY form of discrimination, since “Discriminate” can literally just mean “to observe or apply a distinction between choices.” What they pretty obviously are referring to is discrimination that is unfairly applied based on a person’s intrinsic traits or a legally prohibited basis.

When someone says “I think we should ban sexism here” I think they almost certainly mean actual bigotry. The fact people are actually saying that suggesting NBA players might be better at basketball than WNBA players is just a bit of overenthusiasm, or so I’m hoping.

Moderator Note

We’re discussing the Game Room in this thread, not the Pit. Any further discussions about the Pit in this thread will result in warnings.

I doubt this would, but a statement like “I’m a big fan of men’s pro hockey, but not women’s”…might.

Yours is a somewhat clearer example, but still, I don’t see that as sexism.

Sexism is rather hard to define and mod. Even Misogyny, which is much more obvious is hard to always define.

IMHO the statement has to be general (all/most) and be dismissive or otherwise clearly negative about all or most female athletes.

Your statement was about your own preferences, it isn’t dismissive about woman’s hockey.

Obviously I disagree. I wrote so much in the linked topic.

~Max