I just read a sad article about prostitution here
It got me thinking about several things.
- How strong is the relationship between drug use and prostitution? Are there such things as ‘pot whores’ (i.e. analogous to ‘crack whore’)?
- What are the stats on legalizing prostitution? Has it been shown to radically increase other forms of crime? Be socially suboptimal? Is it just a moral issue that we are dealing with? What is the difference between say acting in hardcore pornography as opposed to prostitution?
- Why do we not deter prostitution, the somewhat more logical way, have extremely harsh sentences for the client instead or along with harsh sentences for the prostitute? On a similar vein, does 10 years for prostitution (it might have been because this case involved drug use though) seem like too much?
- How effective are social efforts for reeducating prostitutes? For example, the article mentions a religion based recovery center, which has no trained professionals… how effective is this sort of thing? What about facilities with trained personnel?
- Is prostitution essentially sound economically? Do most prostitutes find that they are doing less work for more money all other possibilities considered?