psychologists/psychiatrists in different countries

If psychologists/psychiatrists move and start their practice again in another country do they modify the therapy to take into account the different culture or is this stuff suppose to be “platform independent”?

i.e. within a given school of therapy do you treat an
American, German, Italian, French, Japanese, etc. person
differently for the same problem/disorder?

I don’t know how well the recommended treatment varies by country, although I am pretty sure that what, say, a German psychiatrist is taught will be different in some ways from what an American psychiatrist learns.

I also wonder about the effects of multicultural treatment. Like your english speaking American Doc who goes to Germany. Sure, he can learn German - but since so much depends on understanding the finer points.

I’ve had this problem in reverse - I’m a German speaking American who had to deal with German psychologists and psychiatrists for a bout I had with depression. Because of cultural differences, the doctors could not get their heads around the fact that my job was the root of my problems. From any description I could give them, I had a dream job. Good pay, good coworkers, travel, and work that I liked and enjoyed doing.

That does all sound good, but the fact is, the job was a waste of time and resources for everyone involved. The equipment we put together was the best of its kind, and we did our utmost to make it do what the customer needed. Or rather, what we were told that they needed. In the final analysis, our equipment would be ignored by the end user - except when higher levels mandated that it be used. In that case, lack of practice using the stuff turned the equipment into a liability that could (and did) cost lives.

It was literally driving me insane to bust ass getting stuff delivered on time and as ordered (including fixing shit that the manufacturer fucked up) so that the customer could ignore it. I would get calls from customers years after we’d ship stuff to them in which they’d ask stuff that they absolutely had to have known if they’d been using the equipment.

I could not stand being paid so well to sell a lucky rabbit’s foot. Selling rabbit’s foot would have been more honest - everyone knows that it is just a silly superstition and that the rabbit’s feet you can buy are just for fun.

Our equipment was designed to fill a need that (for the user) amounted to being able to honestly check a little box that said “we’ve got equipment X” - although they had no intention of ever using it.

The doctors could not get their heads around the fact that this was causing my problem. From their point of view, I’d done my job - equipment delivered in good working order as ordered - and that was the end of it. I, on the other hand, could not live with getting damned good pay for doing a useless job.

They did treat the depression based on the symptoms, but could not get at the base of it.

I finally quit that job, and am now looking for a new one.

Platform independent? I don’t see how it could be, except for the medicinal aspects - and even there you’ve got differences. A psychiatrist or GP here is quite likely to prescribe St. John’s Wort for depression, whereas an American Dr. would (I think) tend towards some non-herbal anti-depressant.

>Platform independent? I don’t see how it could be
I don’t either but I’ve never read anywhere how psychological therapy is adjusted to accomodate different cultures. It seems like classical therapy it presented without respect to country of origin or regional differences.

>Because of cultural differences, the doctors could not get their >heads around the fact that my job was the root of my problems.
Yes, that’s what I’m wondering about. Attitude towards jobs, family and relationships vary greatly between countries. Seems like adjustments need to be made but I’m guessing they aren’t formalized.