Public donor list for Amendment 2 donors

Say I wanted to legally protest at weddings at churches that supported Florida’s Amendment 2, Or persons who individually donated to Pro amendment 2 organizations, where should I begin my search. My google Fu doesn’t appear to be up to snuff. I find many article talking about how the political groups are required to disclose name of donors and that some of them aren’t, but no links to the ones that are disclosed. Do I need to request this information from some State agency? Thanks in advance for any guidance.

The Election Commission is currently investigating whether the amendment’s sponsor, Florida4Marriage.org, illegally funneled its donations through another nonprofit to avoid disclosing it’s donors, and FWIW they never have disclosed the names of their donors.

However, you can see a list of the amendment’s endorsements here, including church officials.

You can be removed from church property if you aren’t there for regular worship purposes. Why do you want to fuck up someone’s wedding to make a political point?

Let me get this right. You don’t like their stance on a political issue so you want to get up in their face and be a jerk? How does that make you different from Fred Phelps? Way to be tolerant.

It’s a free country, dude. You want to really piss off the fundies, work to get the amendment repealed.

ivylass, who voted no on Amendment 2.

I concur. I’m all for gay marriage, but if anyone tried to fuck with my friends’ (straight) marriages for any reason, they wouldn’t exactly be welcomed with open arms.

Is there a list of protests for Amendment 2? You hear all about them for 8 but not for 2.

– Ludo, though “Straight against 2” just doesn’t have that ring, although it does have the nice double meaning.

I agree that protesting weddings is a horrible, horrible idea. Protesting churches, not so much.

Thank you for the link Really Not All That Bright. I see at least one church in my area that endorsed the amendment. That will make my abject dickery at least a little more convenient.

jtgain, I wasn’t thinking I would do it on church property. Wasn’t planning on busting into the ceremony shouting slogans. Across the street from the entrance with some signage as the participants and guests arrive or depart. I’m willing to fine tune as I need to.

ivylass I’m not of the opinion that tolerance of bigotry and oppression is an effective mindset to create change, let alone an appropriate one for life in general. And I believe this is something that may help move us toward repealing the law

Troy McClure SF Are protesters ever welcome with open arms? Or should I infer something more aggressive than the lack of a warm welcome?

The idea of protesting at weddings appeals to me for many reasons. If you wish to marry in a church that supports restricting that very right for others, you perhaps should be reminded of that. Maybe you’ll stand at the alter thinking “isn’t marriage grand, and it’s oh, so much sweeter that the dirty queers can’t do it, it make my special day just so specialer!” Or maybe you’ll have a different thought process altogether.

If I can establish a pattern of protest at the offending church, maybe some young couples will choose to marry elsewhere rather than at First Bigot Church of Springfield. Or I may be approached by some Father of the Bride and we can open a dialog about what it would take to not mar his baby’s special day (I’m thinking published letter to the editor opposing the ammendment or a letter to the govenor and state legislator or some equitable act of contrition)

Perhaps if i have an economic impact on the church driving away their wedding business I will be approached by the clergy in a similar manner. I’m happy to discuss with anyone the reasons I believe they should change their public stance.

I feel this is a tactic that is more likely to backfire rather than help make your point. Most churches (excluding, of course, wedding chapels) make very little money performing weddings, funerals, and baptisms. Losing this “business” will likely affect the financial health of the church very little.

The much bigger danger is that the couple being wedded may very well be strong opponents of Amendment 2, maybe even donors to the opposition. Putting a crimp in their special day may make them less likely to actively assist future campaigns. It is the couple who will remember the protest, the church may well consider it a badge of honor to be picketed.

It is very unwise to assume that the couple being married shares all of the beliefs of the venue in which the wedding will occur.

You have to be very careful, or you are going to scare off a bunch of moderates who don’t want to be associated with lunacy.

I dabbled a bit a few years ago in a political issue, and the best piece of advice I got was this: “Don’t go after the people who disagree with you. Chances are, you won’t change their mind. Don’t go after the people who agree with you…they’re already on your side. Go after the people who don’t know about you.”

Protesting a church is a waste of time, IMHO. Go find support elsewhere.

Courthouse steps always lend your movement an air of gravitas.

To the OP, seriously… if I’d noticed the part where you said you wanted to protest weddings, rather than just churches, I wouldn’t have provided the information above. Not because you don’t have the right to do it, but because I think you’ll harm the cause rather than help it, and I agree with your point of view.

Protest during Sunday services. You’ll get a much bigger audience, and more importantly, you’ll be speaking to a much bigger group of people who actually patronize that church. Chances are less than half of the guests at a church wedding are members of the church it’s held at, or churchgoers at all, IME.

Also, as noted above, you’ll be ruining one of the most important days in somebody else’s life- somebody who quite possibly voted against Prop 2. In any case, unless you get into the newspapers, there’s zero chance that you’ll convince anyone not to get married at First Church of Christ Bigot except the people who just did, and obviously they’re not likely to be needing a wedding ceremony again soon.