Public Radio Shows I should try

I haven’t seen a recommendation for “Fresh Air.” It’s one of the best interview shows, ever!

I work nights, and drive into work between 9:30 and 10:00 p.m. Every night except Saturday (because Tavis Smiley just doesn’t hold my interest), I put on KPCC (89.3 FM), and listen to Talk of the Nation, Science Friday, or Snapp Judgement (depending on the evening), and I enjoy them all very much.

And on Sunday mornings on my way home from church, I listen to Wait, Wait, Don’t Tell Me (and A Prairie Home Companion if I’m out past noon.

I have to confess that I miss What Do You Know, but even more, I miss The Play’s the Thing from L. A. Theatreworks, which made it worth my time to bring an FM radio in to work with me on Saturday nights. Once the tail end of Saturday nights turned into Tavis Smiley and Cornel West, it became too much trouble.

On The Media is one of my favorites.

I’ve become a huge fan of Wits. Kristen Schaal was on recently and I was in stitches by the end of the show. I find myself coming for the comedian of the week but staying for the musical guest. I’ve learned of about 7 new to me artists that I’m enjoying exploring as a result of the show.

I also listen to A Way With Words, too but that one depresses me. Way too many people call in with basic etymology questions, say “I googled it but I couldn’t find anything” and when I try, I get 5 or 6 reputable sites with the same explanation. I can only assume they mistook a Speak and Spell for google.

This was in the OP, but I’ve recently become a huge fan of Radio Lab. If it’s aired in your area, you all give it a try. It’s similar to This American Life but without the Ira (which is admittedly a big attraction).

I find Radiolab much more annoying than TAL because of their gimmicky editing. While it was only a minor annoyance most of the time, it came to a head when they did a special on the way the brain thinks, repeating certain phrases and cutting and mixing them in an ever more insistent fashion until I had to turn the radio off.

I’ll second Radio Lab.

Another show I find I REALLY like is Planet Money. Whenever a new one appears in my podcast list, I listen to it next.

J.

I’m realizing from this list how many shows we DON’T get locally.

And, by all means, *Fresh Air *for sure.

There were two British programs that ran for a while. IIRC My Words and My Music. Some really smart people with cool accents dazzling us with their knowledge. Hell, I was dazzled anyway. Funny, witty show. Sort of like Wait, Wait Don’t Tell Me, if it was recorded at Oxford in the 1950’s.

Hmmm, this doesn’t address the OP.* <Crawls back under desk.>*

don’t crawl under anything, Thelma Lou, we should all be enjoying whatever is out there, no matter what we “get” locally.

the wonder of the internetz!! :smiley:

Try to find Says You! if you can; it reminds me somewhat of a modern, American My Word. There’s a list of stations that carry it at the link I posted earlier. If there isn’t one near you, a lot of them stream their broadcasts on their websites. (If I miss the local broadcast at 8:00 on Saturday, there are two California stations I can catch it on later.)

A vote for 99% Invisible, great show on architecture that is interesting even if you don’t like architecture.

I love how I can now access all of these shows via Stitcher App. I don’t really even listen to the radio anymore on my 2 hour commute.

I’ll fifth (or sixth) this. I’m currently in a car all day on the weekends, and it’s tuned to one of the two NPR stations available to me (KANU and KCUR)–except between 10 am and noon on Saturday. I can’t stand Feldman–he’s not funny, he’s not interesting, and he’s not engaging. I appreciate a dry sense of humor–mine resembles the Gobi–but I don’t find him funny at all.

Luckily, I have an hour of Blues Kitchen and an hour of Woman Song on the community radio station out of Kansas City (KKFI) to fill the gap. Then it’s back over for Wait Wait…

Jeez, sorry I brought Feldman’s show up. I hereby rescind my recommendation. I’ll still listen to him sometimes though. I will not be bullied!

Awww, we’re just havin’ some fun. :frowning: How often do we NPR types ever get to indulge in a bash-fest? We’re not like the FOX people who let it all hang out all the time. We’re seriously pent up. I think the kink in the back of my neck has finally gone away.

I guess I should give a shout-out to Harry Shearer’s Le Show, but I don’t get to listen to it often (it’s on while I’m in church), and I’m not sure if it’s syndicated beyond KCRW.

I also love to listen to The Splendid Table with Lynne Rossetto Kaspar, when I get the chance.

And in the evenings, after Fresh Air is over, I kinda like The Story, with Dick Gordon.

I’ll throw in my votes for:

Science Friday
Fresh Air
A Way With Words

I have heard the show but not for a very long time - can’t remember disliking it. I am going to give it another try just because of all the hate in this thread. somebody must like him, he has his own show!

there have been times I have listented to

just because it was on, but I sure find her annoying. her voice, somehow. not that she doesn’t have interesting things to say.

lots of shows I never heard of suggested, thank you !!! :smiley:

I agree about The Splendid Table. Lynne’s voice is very annoying. It’s her superior, self-consciously pontifical, pretending-not-to-be-condescending tone.

But I DO love the segment with Jane and Michael Stern. Their cookbook Square Meals is one of my favorites just to sit and read. One time I had guests overnight and I sat up reading that book and laughed so loud and so hard at the recipe for “Flaming Cabbage Head Weenies with Pu-Pu Sauce” that I woke them up. The fact that Jane has put on weight over the years and Michael hasn’t is just one of the many biological injustices of this unjust world.

Thank you for the clarification. I just saw her speak at a luncheon 2 weeks ago, and I could have sworn that she said she was in her 80s. Or perhaps that was her husband, who was recently put into a nursing home suffering from dementia.