"Pumpkin" as a term of endearment

If it is used at all in the UK, then GorillaMan must be right in saying that it’s very area specific. I’ve never heard it in the North West or Edinburgh.

Never heard anyone use pumpkin here. Well not unless they were taking the piss.

But how can you be so wrong about the “nasty gourd”? Roast pumpkin is heaven and pumpkin soup is wonderful. Cold roast pumpkin is awesome in salad with bacon and peppery greens.

I have never tasted pumpkin pie…it seems to have marshmallows on it…no thanks.

Not sure about all that 1846 stuff, since I wasn’t around then, but my parents used it profusely (and sickeningly) in the north Chicago 'burbs in 1978.

And yes, they pronounced it, “Punkin”.

I’m from the UK and use it as an affectionate term for my young daughter.

However, I’m guessing it was only chosed by me as it alliterates with her first name and is often used in a postscript conjunction with that.

It’s also quite cute as she knows Daddy’s the only one that calls her that ‘special name’.

No, pumpkin pie uses sugar, egg, cream and pumpkin to make a custard that is baked in a pie shell. It’s quite good. You can substitute yams and make a sweet potato pie. Yum.

Pumpkin pie IS very good. I imagine that calm kiwi has heard of people in the US making candied yams, which often ARE festooned with marshmallows, and are likely to induce instant diabetes. Pumpkin pie is properly served with whipped cream or ice cream. I used to love to eat a slice for breakfast, back in the days when I ate sugar.

You wouldn’t happen to be from somewhere outside the U.S.A., would you? My first year in grad school I lived with a brit and a kiwi and what they thought of as a pumpkin was a small green gourd with a long stem that curved back down towards the body, indeed it does leave something to be desired in the taste department compared to acorn or butternut squashes, or American pumpkins.

That’s strange. I’ve never seen a pumpkin that isn’t a big bright orange one.

Okay, maybe Jon was just spacing.

I’m positive that John (the kiwi) said that “pumpkin” in NZ means the little green thing.

“GorillaMan, please respect that MelCthefirst has full authority to speak generally for all the peoples of New Zealand, Australia, and Britain- there was a vote. Please stop being insubordinate.”

Bienville - don’t be a wanker. Why not join in when you have something relevant to add. Where are you from?
I’ve lived in all three countries, have relatives in all three countries, gone to school or uni, watched TV, read books and watched movies from all three countries. No this doesn’t give me “full authority to speak for all”, I’m not doing this, nor am I suggesting that there aren’t some people who use the term, but if the term ‘pumpkin’ was in general use as an affectionate way of addressing people, you’d think I would have picked this up.
Furthermore: I’m a she and thank you +MDI.

Forgot to add that the thing called a ‘Pumpkin’ in Australia and NZ could be the classic North American orange one that you make Jack o lanterns (is that right?) out of or smaller gourd shaped creamy orange or light green coloured ones or dark green round ones.

It’s an appropriate term of endearment for a female if she in turn refers to her mate as “Peter Peter.”

Yeah, that sounds about right. Kiwi-John (with three Jo{h}ns in the apartment we had to distinguish by nationality) had never seen the big orange ones before, though. Then again, he nearly freaked out when he first saw snow falling through the sky as opposed to just sitting on the ground as he traveled through a mountainy region.

The first time I ever heard “pumpkin” used as a term of endearment was on the TV show “Married With Children”, by Al Bundy toward his daughter Kelly. (Possibly used because she was born near the American Thanksgiving holiday, maybe?)

This was in about the 8th or 9th season of the show, circa 1995 or so.

OK - only speaking for all Yorkshiremen, then: “You sure about that - my in-laws are from Yorkshire and would never use the term”

Crikey GorillaMan, I was asking you if you were sure because I hadn’t heard my in-laws using it and they are also from Yorkshire. I am not saying you are wrong, I am not speaking for all Yorkshiremen, I am questioning your answer.
When you first posted your response to where you thought they used the term in Britain, you said: “South Yorkshire?” as if you were not sure and having a guess - why else would you use a question mark?
But this is beside the point - the term ‘Pumpkin’ as a term of endearment is not in general use in Britain.

:smiley:

OK, so I shouldn’t have used a question mark.

But does a term have to be in constant use throughout the whole country for it to be considered ‘general’ use?

Now you are just being silly. What do you think the term ‘general use’ means?

“In general use in the the UK” does not mean “In use throughout the UK”. Otherwise no local phrase could be described as in general use. Which would be silly.