Pumpkin pie and spices

[MORBO the DESTROYER]TEETOTALING DOES NOT WORK THAT WAY![MtD]

FYI - Most people have never experienced a real pumpkin pie. The brown mush :frowning: sold in cans and grocery stores at Thanksgiving is creamed butternut squash. Real cooked pumpkin is orange-ish and has texture. When I was little I’d help my grandmother “butcher a pumpkin”, cook it, and then make a pie using her wood stove.

We used pumpkin, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, eggs, and milk mixed to taste. Freshly cooked REAL PUMPKIN mixed with nutmeg, sugar, and a little milk is a good snack or desert.

In addition to the above suggestions, you can get some excitement if you include some freshly grated ginger root as well. 'Bout a teaspoon per pie. Grated candied ginger root is also nice.

I use cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, cloves, salt, and a dash of vanilla extract. I like to double the amounts of typical recipes to make the pie extra spicy.

I’ve made pumpkin pie several times from scratch using pie pumpkins or whatever they call them and, I hate to say this, it wasn’t worth the effort as the stuff from the can was–for me–just as good. I literally could not tell the difference. To be honest, the best “pumpkin pie” is made from sweet potato. :slight_smile:

Let me point out that I had these hot toddies ONLY after I discussed this with a physician, at a local hospital.
FWIW, they failed to relieve the laryngitis and I abandoned the notion. I have not tasted whiskey since (23 years).

I don’t know what cheapass crap you’re buying that’s brown, Libbys is definitely orange and 100% Dickinson pumpkin. At any rate, of all the people I have ever known to bake their own sugar pumpkin for pie, not one has ever thought the effort was worth it in the end.

I also double (at least) the amounts shown in the recipe, but retain the approximate ratios. I also throw in some allspice and mace. I made pumpkin tarts for a potluck at work this week, hoping the pumpkin pie spices would go well with the South Indian dishes, and I think they did. They were especially tasty with the traditional chai - many of the same spices.

I know people who think it’s worth it, but more because they enjoy the process than because it tastes any different.

I’ve been using the recipe on the can of Libby’s canned pumpkin, but multiplying the cinnamon, ginger, and cloves each by 2.5 times the amounts they recommend.

And a graham cracker crust. Gotta have a graham cracker crust.

…and I’ve gotten the best spices from the four corners of the earth and ground them myself. No difference, or at least not as much difference as you could easily get just using more of the stuff you buy at the nearest grocery store.