Pumpkin pie and spices

What’s the best spice to put in pumpkin pie? Nutmeg?

It’s usually a mix of cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg/mace, cloves, allspice. Not necessarily all of them, but I find the first three essential. I personally also like to add a little bit of black pepper. Sometimes cardamom if I’m feeling a bit exotic, but be careful not to use too much of either.

The 4 spices we use for pumpkin pie are cinnamon, ginger, cloves and nutmeg. Mix 1 and a half teaspoons of cinnamon, 1 teaspoon of ginger, 1/2 teaspoon of cloves and 1/2 teaspoon of nutmeg for the proper ratio.

You make it sound like you’d only put one spice in.

Yeah, nutmeg is a good presence there.

I’d include allspice though, and cinnamon, and ginger, and cloves.

On the other hand, my grandma’s recipe uses no spice other than cinnamon. It’s still quite tasty, though not the same thing as with all those other spices.

Cinnamon? I usually save cinnamon for apple cider and oatmeal. :slight_smile:

Yeah, cinnamon is usually the main spice proportionally in pumpkin pie. ETA: Cyros’s proportions are pretty typical.

It is not the seventeenth century and we are not Dutch spice merchants. We do not put anything but cinnamon in our pumpkin pie, and we like it best that way.

My MIL’s recipe, which is really good, uses cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger. I wouldn’t change a thing about it. Yum!

I like a spicy pie, so I use a bit more than what Cyros recommended, but I don’t really measure either, so . . . not helpful, really. I use the same spices though!

I mainly came in to say that some off hand relative (my aunt’s husband’s sister’s daughter or something like that) made the pumpkin pie for Thanksgiving this year, and I swear she ust have put turmeric in it. It wasn’t really bad, but it definitely wasn’t the taste I was expecting.

Don’t forget the bourbon.

I have bourbon–a 23-year-old half-full bottle of Jack Daniels–but I don’t cook and I wouldn’t dream of putting it on pumpkin pie. And I am a teetotaler.

It’s pretty tasty. You don’t need a lot of it, either. 1-3 tablespoons is enough. Gives it a vanilla-y, bourbon-y kick without it being overpowering.

Not on - IN. Also good mixed in with the whipped cream. But I’m not sure why you bothered to respond, given your stated trifecta.

Hmmm… vanilla taste? I never knew about that. The hot toddies I had with the Jack Daniels and Bigelow orange herbal tea gave no hint of vanilla.

I’ve heard of chili powder in chocolate chip cookies, or cocoa in chili, but black pepper in pumpkin pie? I’m assuming it’s basically a homeopathic amount.

On the other hand, a little nutmeg goes a long way. Three times as much cinnamon as nutmeg just might still leave the nutmeg as the “main spice”.

Well, it’s not super vanilla-y, but one of the usual flavor notes of bourbon is vanilla, caramel, brown sugar, especially the sweeter wheated bourbons like Maker’s Mark. Jack Daniels Tennessee whiskey is often described as having vanilla, oak, caramel, and licorice flavors.

It’s not a lot. About 1/4 teaspoon or so for a 9-inch pie. Google “black pepper pumpkin pie” and you’ll find plenty of hits. The King Arthur recipe is particularly good.

Yes, absolutely. That’s why I was careful to say “proportionally.” Nutmeg, mace, and cloves are all pretty strong spices, and a little goes a long way. I still think of cinnamon and ginger as the main flavorings. Personally, I usually only go 1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon of nutmeg and 1/4 tsp clove (maybe even less on the clove), but about 1 1/2 - 2 on the cinnamon, and a hair less on the ginger.

For a change of pace - Chinese five spice

Cinnamon is definitely the most important spice, and I’ve definitely been known to make it without any of the others. It just makes for a lighter taste than usual.