Punny company names

Ouch! :smiley:

I’ve got a whole list of these in my Uncle John’s Bathroom Reader, let me go and look them up…

In Gerringong, NSW, Australia, there is a real estate agent named “Dick Payne Real Estate.” That one always cracked me up.

-Tofer

In East Haven (or 'staven) There’s a shop that sells supplies used for fishing. The name? You guessed it: “Master Bait & Tackle” :smiley:

In Pennsylvania, there’s the People’s Natural Gas company.

Dunno if they have a branch in NYC, but there’s an Ample Supply Company in Huntley, Illinois.
http://www.amplesupply.com/about.aspx

The way I heard it was:[ul][li]The Ewing Oil company in Maryland predated the Dallas TV show.[/li][li]After Dallas first hit the airwaves, the Ewing Oil company decided to cash in on their name by making baseball caps, belt buckles, T-Shirts, etc., that said “Ewing Oil”.[/li][*]CBS sued the Ewing Oil company for allegedly cashing in on the popularity of Dallas without giving CBS a cut.[/ul]I have no idea what the outcome of that lawsuit was, but I’ll bet the fact that Eqing Oil existed before Dallas made CBS’s case pretty weak.

Greg’s Hoe Service
Uniontown, Pennsylvania, just off US Route 40.

Along the same road is the Triple Nickel bar. It’s not funny until you say it quickly and accidentally make it rhyme.

Oh, I get it! Trickle nickel. I get jokes.

Datsun. One of the first successful Japanese cars was the DAT (an acronym for its owners’ names), and the original “Datson” was named because it was “son of DAT.” However, “son,” sounds a lot like the Japanese word for “loss,” so it was respelled as “Datsun.”

Interestingly, Datsun experimented with a clockwork version of the car, using springs and cogwheels. It failed after a disasterous experiment in using zeppelins to transport parts from the factory. The airship developed a leak and had to dump the cargo, and soon it was raining Datsun cogs.

The first paragraph is true; blame A. Bertram Chandler for the second one.

That’s funny. My grandfather always told me that the Datsun name originated when the Japanese company brought in a German brand design firm to help with the naming and launch of the new car line. When the design firm arrived at the Japanese headquarters, one of the first things they asked (in heavily accented English) was “How zoon vould you like ze new name to be ready?” The Japanese replied that they were really under a time crunch and could the Germans please have the name ready by the end of the week. The shocked German replied “DAT ZOON?!” and the new name was born. :smiley:

Also, in the spirit of the OP, my favorite company name is a local arborist who uses the company name “The Tree Fella’”

In one of the professional buildings on Pill Hill (that’s first hill to the uninitiated, its where many of the hospitals live in Seattle), there’s the orthopedic office of Drs. Pillow and Paine

Not exactly a pun, but I think it is related. In western Mass, there is a salvage company named Sanford and Kid. Always makes me smile.

Chicagoans have Lettuce Entertain You Enterprises, which operates R.J. Grunts and other restaurants. One of their restaurants that closed years ago was Jonathan Livingson Seafood. I seem to recall LEYE had other pun named restaurants, but I can’t remember any more.

On a slight tangent, a page with a whole shitload of punny restaurant names: http://www.dinersoft.com/sobriquets.htm

One of my favorites is the GOD Trucking Co. GOD does not stand for the deity, but Guaranteed Overnight Delivery. OR maybe IT IS a bit of silent witnessing. Perhaps someone will know. Many years ago a department store chain operated in and around these parts, with the name of E. J. Korvettes. The rumor, since disproved, is that the name stood for the founders of the company, who were a group of Eight Jewish Korean Veterans.

In the Delaware Valley, there is a company that hauls freight cnamed “A. Duie Pyle” (they even have a website). Guaranted Overnight Delivery (G.O.D.) is also popular (or at least it was bck in the 80’s). And where I’m living in MD, there is the ever popular excavation company “Busy Ditch.”

There’s a greengrocer in Southampton (UK) called ‘the Melon Cauli’, it’s directly opposite a large cemetery.

Well, I can’t think of any puns at the moment; but here are some names I like.

Dick Knows Video
Nicewonger
Seattle House of Hose
Assman Electronics
Sofa King

Near the Fresh Pond reservoir in Cambridge is a questionably named petrol station:

Fresh Pond Gas

Double nickle is the speed limit. Triple nickel would be 555 mph.

If I lived around there, and frequented this establishment, I’d probably be known for accidentally calling it the “Nipple Trickle.” Especially after a few beers.

In Columbus, OH, I just heard a radio ad for a bar called Whiskey Dick’s. I wished I’d have been drinking something, just for the spit-take it would’ve generated.

When I worked as a business editor, I received a press release from a law firm called “Weiner & Cox.” (I know it’s pronounced “Wye-ner,” but it still made me giggle.) The best part of the press release was that it was announcing the promotion of a woman named Sharon Moore. I actually called her work number listed on the release to see if she answered the phone “Sharon Moore, Weiner & Cox.” She didn’t.

Happy