Putin, the Chechens, democracy, and dickheads

Well, there are various levels of administrative subdivisions, which have varied over time, and the terminology is frequently translated inconnsistently from one source to the next… Not to confuse the issue, but there are is the avtonomny raion, the * avtonomnaya oblast’ *, the *federalny raion, * and a host of others, many of which are translated alike as “autonomous region” or something similar, but vary in size and level of political power/independence.

The borders of many of the above have also shifted significantly over the past several decades, and some “republics” have been divided, and some have been combined. That, in iteself, is a long and very messy story.

As for your second question: well, I think part of the answer is that the central government feels it would set a very bad precedent, as many ethnically-based subunits of the RF have been stretching their wings to varying degrees. (Plus, at this point a large proportion of ethnic Chechens have fled to neighboring Ingushetia, to other areas in the southern RF, like Krasnodar, and to other major cities: Moscow, etc., so it’s not so simple as, say, lopping off a gangrenous toe.)

And another factor is IMO a general Russian fear of the rise in Islamic influence and/or the huge demographic increase of traditionally Muslim peoples in relation to Slavic peoples in the RF. But don’t discount the oil and/or geopolitics factors, either.

A couple of relevant snippets from the Russian Constitution:

Article 2 [Protection of Human Rights]
Humans, their rights and freedoms are the supreme value. It is a duty of the state to recognize, respect and protect the rights and liberties of humans and citizens.

Article 3 [The Multinational People]

(1) The multinational people of the Russian Federation is the vehicle of sovereignty and the only source of power in the Russian Federation.
(2) The people of the Russian Federation exercise their power directly, and also through organs of state power and local self-government.
(3) The referendum and free elections are the supreme direct manifestation of the power of the people.
(4) No one may arrogate to oneself power in the Russian Federation. Seizure of power or appropriation of power authorization are prosecuted under federal law.

Article 4 [Sovereignty]

(1) The sovereignty of the Russian Federation applies to its entire territory.
(2) The Constitution of the Russian Federation and federal laws have supremacy throughout the entire territory of the Russian Federation.
(3) The Russian Federation ensures the integrity and inviolability of its territory.

Article 5 [Federal Structure]

(1) The Russian Federation consists of republics, territories,
regions, federal cities, an autonomous region and autonomous areas, which are equal subjects of the Russian Federation.
(2) The republic (state) has its own constitution and legislation. A territory, region, federal city, autonomous region and autonomous area has its own charter and legislation
(3) The federated structure of the Russian Federation are based on its state integrity, the uniform system of state power, delimitation of scopes of authority and powers between the bodies of state power of the Russian Federation and the bodies of state power of the subjects of the Russian Federation, equality and self-determination of the peoples in the Russian Federation.
(4) All the subjects of the Russian Federation are equal among themselves in relations with the Federal bodies of state power.

(translation from http://www.oefre.unibe.ch/law/icl/rs00000_.html)

Sorry, missed one (from the same source). Long, but will perhaps clarify some things:

Article 65 [Republics]

(1) The Russian Federation consists of the subjects of the Federation: Republic of Adygeya (Adygeya), Republic of Altai,
Republic of Bashkortostan, Republic of Buryatia, Republic of Dagestan, Republic of Ingushetia, Kabardin-Balkar Republic, Republic of Kalmykia – Khalmg Tangch, Karachayevo-Cherkess Republic, Republic of Karelia, Republic of Komi, Republic of Mari El, Republic of Mordovia, Republic of Sakha (Yakutia), Republic of North Ossetia-Alania, Republic of Tatarstan (Tatarstan), Republic of Tuva, Udmurt Republic, Republic of Khakasia, Chechen Republic, Chuvash Republic – Chavash Republics; Altai Territory, Krasnodar Territory, Krasnoyarsk Territory, Maritime Territory, Stavropol Territory, Khabarovsk Territory; Amur Region, Arkhangelsk Region, Astrakhan Region, Belgorod Region, Bryansk Region, Vladimir Region, Volgograd Region, Vologda Region, Voronezh Region, Ivanovo Region, Irkutsk Region, Kaliningrad Region, Kaluga Region, Kamchatka Region, Kemerovo Region, Kirov Region, Kostroma Region, Kurgan Region, Kursk Region, Leningrad Region, Lipetsk Region, Magadan Region, Moscow Region, Murmansk Region, Nizhny Novgorod Region, Novgorod Region, Novosibirsk Region, Omsk Region, Orenburg Region, Oryol Region, Penza Region, Perm Region, Pskov Region, Rostov Region, Ryazan Region, Samara Region, Saratov Region, Sakhalin Region, Sverdlovsk Region, Smolensk Region, Tambov Region, Tver Region, Tomsk Region, Tula Relation, Tyumen Region, Ulyanovsk Region, Chelyabinsk Region, Chita Region, Yaroslavl Region; Moscow, St. Petersburg – federal cities; Jewish Autonomous Region; Aginsky Buryat Autonomous Area, Komi-Permyak Autonomous Area, Koryak Autonomous Area, Nenets Autonomous Area, Taimyr (Dolgan-Nenets) Autonomous Area, Ust-Ordynsky Buryat Autonomous Area, Khanty-Mansi Autonomous Area, Chukchi Autonomous Area, Evenk Autonomous Area, Yamal-Nenets Autonomous Area.
(2) Accession to the Russian Federation and formation of a new subject of the Russian Federation within it is carried out as envisaged by the federal constitutional law.

Article 66 [Territories, Regions]

(1) The status of a republic is defined by the Constitution and the constitution of the republic in question.
(2) The status of a territory, region, federal city, and autonomous region and autonomous area is determined by Constitution and the Charter of the territory, region, city of federal importance, autonomous region, autonomous area, adopted by the legislative (representative) body of the relevant subject of the Russian Federation.
(3) A federal law on autonomous region, autonomous area may be adopted at the nomination from the legislative and executive bodies of an autonomous region, autonomous area.
(4) Relations between autonomous areas within a territory or region may be regulated by the federal law and an agreement between bodies of state power of the autonomous area and, respectively, bodies of state power of the territory or the region.
(5) The status of a subject of the Russian Federation may be changed only with mutual consent of the Russian Federation and the subject of the Russian Federation in accordance with the federal constitutional law.

[when they say “subject,” BTW, they mean administrative subunit, not RF citizen.]

Hey, great to see you back and all, but the problem is that you’re back with more of the same type of junk. You post an inordinately large amount of text copied from some website that you claim proves your point. I wade through it all and see that it deals primarily with government controlled press, so I respond that this does not imply lack of press freedom. Then you respond by pasting an even greater chunk of stuff from your favored website, unconnected with your previous assertion, with the vague assertion that this proves your point. I cannot be wasting my time plowing through all sorts of regurgitated jive that you’ve mindlessly copied and pasted from some website. If you have a point to make, copy the relevant parts and show how it supports your point.

In this case, most of what you’ve put forth relates to stuff that you’ve already posted and to which I’ve already responded to. In sum, I don’t see anything here that suggests that there is a lack of press freedom in Russia. Though the possibility is suggested that some new laws might be expanded in a manner that might curb press freedom. And it is possible that some of the press might be subject to a mild form of government harassment over sensitive issues. I am not going to bother repeating this again, should you pull the same shtick.

I guess we will have to disagree. I tend to think that a “no-go area for outsiders” and “Many parts of Chechnya are controlled by armed bands and the region is awash with crime and violence” and “Maskhadov was unable to establish order and Chechnya descended into lawlessness” implies a level of anarchy not found in the rest of Russia. And the truth is that I am not basing my assertion on these quotes – as I’ve mentioned, the facts that I’ve described are well known to anyone who has followed the Chechen saga even slightly. Personally, I think your denial here says more about your warped perspective with regards to this issue than about anything else. But, if you simply refuse to acknowledge it, I doubt if anything could convince you - we will have to leave it here.

As mentioned before – why do I keep needing this phrase? – the number of displaced I’ve read is about 150,000, not half the population. And – again, as previous – much of the killing is being done by Chechens rebels, in attacks on loyalists, in widespread use of landmines, and general all-purpose lawlessness. And much of this was going on even before the Russians invaded. And your assertion about murdering huge numbers of civilians remains undocumented, also as noted.

I ask again – what evidence would you accept as “shown to be the work of any Chechen”?

How does it help Al-Qaeda to bomb civilians? When people hate other people enough, bombing them to pieces starts to make a lot more sense than it otherwise would. Further, even if you don’t claim responsibility outright, the very fact that most people assume it is your work serves your ends as well.

But again, if you will believe that the Russians blew up their own people to create a pretext to invade Chechnya, I can’t stop you. As you may know, there are a lot of people who believe that the CIA (or the Mossad) blew up the WTC, as a pretext to go to war with Islam (or to access some pipeline in Afghanistan). So you are in good company.

What of it. However many struggles you may consider it, the Russian use of “lawlessness” as a pretext for invading occurred in 1999, not in 1994. When I said that how much crime there was before “the last two wars” is irrelevant, it was because my comments to this thread concern the situation that developed since the Russian pullout in 1996. When you turned around and said that it is relevant because the Russians used lawlessness as a pretext for invading, you were switching horses, from talking about the situation that prevailed before the 1994 invasion (before “the last two wars”) to talking about the 1999 invasion. Frankly I suspect that you were being disingenuous, but it is also possible that you are simply confused.

Well, then, the next logical question is why doesn’t the Russian Federation just let all the ethnically based sub-units go? Why should it hang onto them? What’s in it for the Federation? I don’t see it as a pre-U.S. Civil War situation, with Putin as Abe Lincoln, resolving to hold the Union together even if it meant war. I see it as an artificial conglomeration of peoples spread across, what is it, eleven time zones? Why should they all be forced into a

[quote unquote]
“Russian” federation? Most of them aren’t even Russian.

All they have in common, really, is that the Soviet Union used to own them.

Izzy: Well, depending on whether or not you consider the U.S. State Dept. to be a more credible source, they seem to at least partially back Eva Luna’s assertions regarding federal abuses and lack of press freedom as regards Chechnya ( that, while not soft-peddling Chechen atrocities, which are repeatedly mentioned as well ). Some brief excerpts:

*Although the Government generally respected the human rights of its citizens in some areas, serious problems remain in many areas. Its record was poor regarding the independence and freedom of the media. Its record was poor in Chechnya, where the federal security forces demonstrated little respect for basic human rights and there were credible reports of serious violations, including numerous reports of extrajudicial killings by both the Government and Chechen fighters. *

Despite the continued wide diversity of press, government pressure on the media increased and resulted in numerous restrictions on the freedom of speech and press.

There were credible reports from throughout the country that police detained persons without observing mandated procedures and failed to issue proper arrest warrants or receipts for confiscated property. This especially was true for persons from the Caucasus. There were credible reports that security forces continued regularly to single out persons from the Caucasus for document checks, detention, and the extortion of bribes. According to NGO’s, federal forces commonly detained groups of Chechen men at checkpoints along the borders and during “mop-up” operations following military hostilities and severely beat and tortured them.

In August 1999, the Government began a second war against Chechen rebels. The indiscriminate use of force by government troops in the Chechen conflict resulted in widespread civilian casualties and the displacement of hundreds of thousands of persons, the majority of whom sought refuge in the neighboring republic of Ingushetiya. Attempts by government forces to regain control over Chechnya were accompanied by the indiscriminate use of air power and artillery. There were numerous reports of attacks by government forces on civilian targets, including the bombing of schools and residential areas.

From here ( It’s the 2001 Report on Human Rights Abuse for Russia ) : http://www.state.gov/g/drl/rls/hrrpt/2001/eur/8331.htm

Of course the same report, as I mentioned, details lots of Chechen rebel nastiness I could have excerpted as well.

However Eva Luna contention that press freedom is restricted ( whether indirectly via pressured self-censorship or directly via government-controlled media and actual confiscations and harassment ) and that Russian federal forces have committed numerous atrocities, does seem to be born out by the above document.

• Tamerlane

Tamerlane,

I am not denying that press freedom in Russia is not on par with that in the US. I noted this in my first post to this thread. To this, Eva Luna added that there are also some additional restrictions that are imposed with regards to the specific issue of the Chechnya war. Which is true, but not to say that press freedom does not exist, in the category of many dictatorships.

Similar applies to the Chachnya war. I am not denying that there have been atrocities - these have been widely reported. What I did point out is that the overall government policy is a valid one, and that was necessitated by Chechen actions. And that many of the atrocities in Chechnya are the result of individual action as opposed to directives from the top - IOW they don’t represent official government policy. (It is in this context that disputes about who is committing various atrocities in Chechnya and how widespread they are have significance. Because if there were 100,000 civilians murdered by the Russians, you would have to hold the Russian leadership directly acountable for it. A more realistic portrayal shows a more scattershot picture.)

In general, as mentioned previously, Russia has had a decentralized and corrupt government for hundreds of years.

This pretty much sums up my position - from The New Republic

Probably the best possible outcome for the Chechens at this point is that the Russians succeed in crushing the rebels, at which point they will have some stability and a semblance of normal civilian life.

*Originally posted by Duck Duck Goose *

[quote]
Well, then, the next logical question is why doesn’t the Russian Federation just let all the ethnically based sub-units go? Why should it hang onto them? What’s in it for the Federation? I don’t see it as a pre-U.S. Civil War situation, with Putin as Abe Lincoln, resolving to hold the Union together even if it meant war. I see it as an artificial conglomeration of peoples spread across, what is it, eleven time zones? Why should they all be forced into a

I’m sure others with a better understanding of Russian history can address your questions in a much more comprehensive maner, but I can try to answer some of them.

What’s in it for thr Russian Federation? The same could be said for why other colonial powers felt it necessary to hang onto their colonial posessions. Maybe a good comparison with Russia today might be France. Why was there so much invested in maintaining control in Northern Africa (Algeria) and Southeast Asia (Indochina)?

I can’t remember the name of the political historian (Mackinder?), but he likened the Russian Empire as an inland empire with the various conquered areas similar to the colonies that other European countries had in their possession during their period of colonization (British, French, Dutch, Spanish, Portuguese, German, etc.).

Personally, I think a reason for why the Russians have been particularly harsh on Chechnya is due in part for economic reasons, but also (I suspect) for political/psychological reasons. I don’t think the Russians are currently equipped politically (and psychologically) to deal with a further splintering of the Russian Federation. By dealing with the Chechens in such a harsh manner, it sends a message to others that no overt challenge to Russian authority will be tolerated.

IzzyR said:
you’re back with more of the same type of junk. You post an inordinately large amount of text copied from some website that you claim proves your point. I wade through it all and see that it deals primarily with government controlled press, so I respond that this does not imply lack of press freedom. Then you respond by pasting an even greater chunk of stuff from your favored website, unconnected with your previous assertion, with the vague assertion that this proves your point. I cannot be wasting my time plowing through all sorts of regurgitated jive that you’ve mindlessly copied and pasted from some website. If you have a point to make, copy the relevant parts and show how it supports your point.

In this case, most of what you’ve put forth relates to stuff that you’ve already posted and to which I’ve already responded to. In sum, I don’t see anything here that suggests that there is a lack of press freedom in Russia. Though the possibility is suggested that some new laws might be expanded in a manner that might curb press freedom. And it is possible that some of the press might be subject to a mild form of government harassment over sensitive issues. I am not going to bother repeating this again, should you pull the same shtick.

**Eva Luna ** replied:

I’m sorry if you think a few paragraphs of news reports are “an inordinately large amount of text.” My “favored website,” as you call it, Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty,is a standard information and reference source in those sections of the academic community that deal with the geographic areas it covers. I cite it merely for convenience, as it is the most centralized and detailed source of news and analysis on the area that can be found online and in English. From their Web site (of course, you probably think this is too long):

“Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty is a private, international communications service to Eastern and Southeastern Europe, Russia, the Caucasus, Central Asia, and the Middle East, funded by the United States Congress. In the broadcast region, RFE/RL radio programs reach 35 million listeners who rely on RFE/RL’s daily news, analysis, and current affairs programming to provide a coherent, objective account of happenings in their region and the around world. Concentrating on events within this complex region, RFE/RL provides balanced, reliable information to bolster democratic development and market economies in countries where peaceful evolution to civil societies is of vital national interest to the U.S. With one of the most comprehensive news operations in the region, RFE/RL maintains 28 bureaus across 13 time zones of Central and Eastern Europe and the former Soviet Union. Over 1,000 freelancers report local news and current affairs. RFE/RL broadcasts almost 1,000 hours a week from its operations center, located in Prague, Czech Republic, and programs can be heard on shortwave frequencies by listeners across the entire region. RFE/RL has built a network of over 200 affiliate partners which relay programs on almost 500 local radio stations. Political circumstances do not currently permit local rebroadcasting in Belarus, Iraq, Iran, Turkmenistan, Tajikistan, and Uzbekistan(http://affiliates.rferl.org). RFE/RL is also gaining a large new audience throughout the world via the Internet. In September 2001 alone, the RFE/RL website registered over 800,000 unique visitors and almost 5 million page views. Its multilingual website features both audio and text content and all RFE/RL audio broadcasts are available live in Real Audio.”

IzzyR said:
I tend to think that a “no-go area for outsiders” and “Many parts of Chechnya are controlled by armed bands and the region is awash with crime and violence” and “Maskhadov was unable to establish order and Chechnya descended into lawlessness” implies a level of anarchy not found in the rest of Russia. And the truth is that I am not basing my assertion on these quotes – as I’ve mentioned, the facts that I’ve described are well known to anyone who has followed the Chechen saga even slightly. Personally, I think your denial here says more about your warped perspective with regards to this issue than about anything else. But, if you simply refuse to acknowledge it, I doubt if anything could convince you - we will have to leave it here.

Eva Luna replied:

Again, a very large reason why the area is not safe for outsiders is that ** there is a war going on. ** I knew people in grad school (1994-95) who traveled without incident throughout Chechnya and other parts of the North Caucasus, as well as the Reuters correspondent who covered the area during that time, also without incident. Again, I highly recommend Anne Nivat’s Chienne de Guerre. Perhaps you will respect the opinion of a Western journalist (she is French, with a Ph.D. in political science, and speaks fluent Russian), one of the few (if not the only) who actually covered the current Chechen conflict from inside Chechnya. As the Russian government refused to allow her to travel there, she went undercover, disguised as a Chechen peasant woman., transmitting her reports to Paris via satellite phone. For her trouble, she was expelled from Chechnya. Does that tell you something about the Russian government’s treatment of journalistic coverage of Chechnya? I met her when she spoke in Chicago last year, and some of her stories would make any decent person want to vomit.

If, however, you want to stick to mainstream U.S. news media, who do not report from the area, and are therefore reliant on secondhand information at best, I’m sorry that’s the case. If you’re going to stick to MSNBC, though, I’ll be quite happy to lay this issue to rest for the moment, since as I’ve stated before, there is no reliable information on how much crime and violence might be taking place in Chechnya if there weren’t a war on.

**IzzyR ** said:

the number of displaced I’ve read is about 150,000, not half the population. And – again, as previous – much of the killing is being done by Chechens rebels, in attacks on loyalists, in widespread use of landmines, and general all-purpose lawlessness. And much of this was going on even before the Russians invaded. And your assertion about murdering huge numbers of civilians remains undocumented, also as noted.
** Eva Luna** replied:

As stated previously, I hardly think that 100,000 dead and 150,000 refugees in Ingushetia since 1999 alone, as well as unknown numbers of internally displaced in Chechnya and throughout the rest of the RF, out of a 1989 census population of ~1,000,000, are insignificant figures.

IzzyR asked:

what evidence would you accept as “shown to be the work of any Chechen”?

**Eva Luna ** replied:

I’d prefer “tried and convicted in a court of law, with evidence provided to establish guilt beyond a reasonable doubt,” but I’d probably settle for arrests of Chechen rebels by the FSB for which the evidence was more than just finding a couple of Chechen guys in the neighborhood. I’ve seen neither.

IzzyR said:

When people hate other people enough, bombing them to pieces starts to make a lot more sense than it otherwise would. Further, even if you don’t claim responsibility outright, the very fact that most people assume it is your work serves your ends as well.

But again, if you will believe that the Russians blew up their own people to create a pretext to invade Chechnya, I can’t stop you. As you may know, there are a lot of people who believe that the CIA (or the Mossad) blew up the WTC, as a pretext to go to war with Islam (or to access some pipeline in Afghanistan). So you are in good company.

Eva Luna replied:

Your first sentence above proves my point at least as well as it proves yours. And I maintain that there is no reliable evidence that Chechen rebels blew up the Moscow apartment buildings, so the FSB theory is at least as reliable. Again, I’m not saying for sure that they did, just that the theory is at least as sensible. The case has never been solved.

I think the FSB’s behavior during and after the Moscow theater siege amply proves my point that the Russian security forces are more than willing to sacrifice Russian civilians in pursuit of their eventual goal of wiping out the Chechen resistance. And there are certainly Russians who agree with me, as demonstrated by a) public reaction reported by foreign and Russian independent news media at the revelation that the FSB lied about how many hostages died of gunshot wounds vs. as a result of being gassed by the FSB, as well as b) the frustration expressed by Russian doctors who were unable to obtain from the FSB necessary information about the gas that might have saved a large proportion of the hostages’ lives.

IzzyR said:

However many struggles you may consider it, the Russian use of “lawlessness” as a pretext for invading occurred in 1999, not in 1994. When I said that how much crime there was before “the last two wars” is irrelevant, it was because my comments to this thread concern the situation that developed since the Russian pullout in 1996. When you turned around and said that it is relevant because the Russians used lawlessness as a pretext for invading, you were switching horses, from talking about the situation that prevailed before the 1994 invasion (before “the last two wars”) to talking about the 1999 invasion. Frankly I suspect that you were being disingenuous, but it is also possible that you are simply confused.

**Eva Luna ** replied:

I am not confused, nor am I being disingenuous. “Lawlessness” was used as a pretext for both invasions, to varying degrees. It is a commonly held opinion among Russians that Chechens and other Muslim peoples in the FSU are a bunch of uncivilized, lawless barbarians. Sorry, I can’t provide a cite; this is based on the statements of hundreds of Russians I have spoken to on the subject, both within and outside of Russia, since my initial period of residence in Russia in 1989 (and a repeat stay in 1995). Even otherwise educated and enlightened Russians insist that the Chechens are better off under Russian control than they would have been otherwise. If you insist, I’ll try to dig up a cite, but it’ll probably be in Russian, so either you’ll have to find a Russian speaker to read it for you, or you’ll have to trust someone with my perceived biases to provide an accurate translation.

OK, well you are about to, courtesy of Tamerlane’s link to the US State Department Report

Sorry, there is a huge difference between saying that you’ve spoken to “hundreds” of Russians who think the Chechens are lawless, and saying the Russian government used that as a pretext for the 1994 invasion. If you can dig up a cite for the latter, please do.

eponymous, I think what you say makes a lot of sense.

An additional consideration, though: Algeria is not geographically part of France. In contrast, many of the areas of the RF which are majority non-Russian are smack-dab in the middle of the RF (such as, say, Tatarstan). And even the ones on the edges have geopolitical and other strategic importance (natural resources, security, etc.), so I think Russia will be much more reluctant to let them go (as if France was thrilled to let its colonies go!).

Non-ethnic Russians, IIRC, are nearly half the population of the RF, and are spread throughout…over 100 languages are spoken in the RF. I’ll try to dig up some stats from the last census.

So it’s all about losing face? Okay, that works for me, although I don’t approve. :smiley: It seems horribly imperialistic and outdated.

Re the issue of Russian freedom of the press: I’m with Izzy–browsing around on various Russian websites (none of which are MSNBC or otherwise “mainstream U.S. news media”), I don’t see a Soviet-style clampdown. “While restrictions exist, and they don’t have the same level of freedom as in the U.S., it’s not to say that freedom of the press doesn’t exist in Russia.”

You know, if there really were press censorship in Russia, I would think that the unflattering stories would be suppressed. But they’re not. I can’t imagine hearing a story like this about one of the Soviet leaders.

http://www.times.spb.ru/archive/times/820/top/t_7902.htm

And they certainly aren’t suppressing this story.
http://www.times.spb.ru/archive/times/820/top/t_7903.htm

And they’re being upfront about this. I don’t see any Soviet-style spin control at all.
http://www.times.spb.ru/archive/times/820/top/t_7901.htm

Even the Chinese know enough to block Google–if there really is no freedom of the press in Russia, why is this Russian website still operating? And look at the “Staff” page–these people aren’t afraid to stand up and have their picture taken.
http://www.times.spb.ru/about/staff.htm

They work for a Dutch publishing empire that’s registered to do business in Russia.
http://english.independent-media.ru/about/

So why is the St. Petersburg Times still in operation? Why hasn’t the Moscow Times, their sister newspaper and website, been shut down, too? They’re not suppressing any stories, either, that I can see.
http://www.themoscowtimes.com/stories/2002/11/15/002.html

http://www.themoscowtimes.com/stories/2002/11/15/003.html

The Vladivostok News was anxious to point out that this local bombing was not the work of Chechens. If the Russian Federation really is controlling the press, they sure missed a bet with this made-to-order “let’s blame it on the Chechens” opportunity.

http://vn.vladnews.ru/arch/2000/iss211/text/news2.html

Granted, the St. Petersburg Times and the Moscow Times and the Vladivostok News aren’t Pravda, but then, Pravda isn’t Pravda any more. Pravda has turned into a tabloid, barely mentioning awkward stories like Chechnya at all, and featuring squibs about Tony Blair and George Bush right next to full-length stories on the Russian Bigfoot and bizarro made-up stories like Apostle Jacob’s Coffin Made by Aliens:

Um, yes, the “James’ ossuary” is in Canada, but it’s on display in a Toronto museum.

And I went and found the rest of this story you quoted from RFE’s Media Matters.

It’s here, on the St. Petersburg Times website, since Moscow Times articles over one week old have to be paid for. I’m assuming that it’s the identical article, as it isn’t likely that Andrei Zolotov would have written it twice.
http://www.sptimes.ru/archive/times/818/top/t_7841.htm

So, taking the quote in context, it says, not that the rights of a Russian free press are being abridged, but that Russian journalists are being asked to exercise more restraint in covering acts of terrorism, and that NTV had been one of the most egregious offenders. Western journalism has pretty much already figured these tough questions out, but Russia’s still working on it. To me this article says, not that the Russian government is clamping down on the press, but just the opposite, that the Russian government isn’t afraid to let the West watch them in action.

Here’s the AP version.

American SWAT teams don’t usually allow hostage-takers to have a media platform, either.

That website you quoted it from, Radio Free Europe, has an axe to grind of their own, you know. Their basic operating assumption is that Russia doesn’t have a free press, so they tend to look for clips from news reports that will confirm this, and post them.

It’s not fair to say, “The fact that there’s very little Russian war coverage coming out of Chechnya proves that the Russian government is suppressing journalists” without proof of some kind. Anecdotes from one person who has written a book do not constitute “evidence”. Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence. Just because there aren’t any Russian journalists filing war stories from Chechnya doesn’t mean that the Government is suppressing them. The area’s a war zone–maybe it’s only Western journalists who are crazy enough to try to get in there. I didn’t notice a whole lot of Russian journalists fighting to get into Kabul a year ago. Maybe they simply don’t have the money to invest in something like that. Rented jeeps, gasoline, food, and interpreters all cost money.

And I found this nifty timeline.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/country_profiles/2357267.stm

Uh huh. :rolleyes: Definitely time for Russia to come into the 20th century. One vote here for “let 'em go, guys”.

Vlad, can you say “vietnam”?

*Originally posted by Duck Duck Goose *

I brought up a question to Eva Luna in another thread trying to understand the current situation between Russia and Chechnya. The above timeline (1991-1994) is where I get confused. In 1994, did the Russians enter Chechnya soley to quash the independence movement (and thus escalating the violenece perpetuated by Chechen extremists against Russians)? Or was it rather to quell the lawlessness (perceived or actual) that was occurring in the region, which the Chechens interpreted as Russia’s attempt to crush the Chechen independence movement? Or does the truth lie somewhere in between?

Duck Duck Goose, since you are the “Google Queen” :D, maybe you (or anyone else) can dig up some info around the 1991-1994 timeframe, particularly leading up to 1994 when the Russians sent troops into Chechnya. I think if everyone had a clearer idea as to what was happening around that time frame, then it would shed some light regarding the current situation. Well, at least it would clear things up for me. :slight_smile:

FTR, I never said that there was NO freedom of the press in Russia, or even a Soviet-era level of censorship, nor did I state that the Russian government has consistently blamed every act of violence in the RF on the Chechens. I merely expressed concern/disgust that the Russian government has repeatedly harassed news organizations and individual journalists for providing information to the public that is critical of government actions in Chechnya, and provided a few examples.

Yes, I am aware that RFE/RL has an axe to grind, as do most news outlets to varying degrees. In this case, I happen to agree with their axe, because there is still a problem with freedom of expression in Russia, and RFE/RL is far from the only source on the region that I read regularly. And yes, probably many Western and Russian journalists have stayed away from Chechnya because they fear for their skins. However, that was not the case with Dr. Nivat, who asked for permission to enter Chechnya and was repeatedly denied. (She also mentioned during her Chicago lecture that many of her Moscow-based colleagues at other news organizations had experienced the same, if that’s any help.) Nor, I suspect, was it the case with my acquaintance who reported for Reuters from the region during the 1994 conflict. He is no longer there, but that last news I had of him, he was reporting for NPR from the Afghan border during fall 2001, so he’s no shrinking violet. And as you can see from one of my earlier posts, the Russians have not even provided an administrative procedure for requesting permission to enter Chechnya anymore. In this case, anecdotal evidence is probably the only available evidence, as I doubt Russian authorities are going to release information on how many permits they’ve denied for Russian journalists to enter Chechnya.

IzzyR, upon reading your post on the convictions in Stavropol (a bit of news which I must have blinked and missed, BTW, as did you initially, judging by your first few posts on this thread)), I still don’t know whether I am willing to believe that the individuals in question did it. I have no idea whether the circumstances of their arrest, trial, and conviction were sufficient to prove their guilt beyond a reasonable doubt. Russia may have come a long way in the past 13 years, but the judicial system still has issues at least as serious as those faced by the press. Nor does your quote state anything about the level of their involvement in the bombings.

In any case, upon review I note that we have strayed quite far from the substance of my OP. My point was not that there is no Chechen who has been guilty of any violence whatsoever. My primary points all along about the Chechens are:

a) that the Chechen people have in general been treated like crap by the Russian government from the mid-19th century onward, which has resulted in a number of wars and in genocide/ethnic cleansing on more than one occasion, so it is understandable why some Chechens might not be thrilled at the prospect of Russian control of Chechnya;

b) that the Russian reaction toward the Chechen independence movement has been entirely disproportionate, and violates both Russian legislation and international human rights norms. IMO carpet-bombing of civilian areas has been quite intentional, and there is no justification for leveling cities and villages in pursuit of a comparatively tiny number of bad guys. A small segment of the Chechen population has been directly involved in separatist activity, including a few hundred (or maybe even a few thousand) who have participated in terrorist activity, but that does not justify the Russian response, which since the breakup of the Soviet Union has directly caused hundreds of thousands of Chechen deaths and created additional hundreds of thousands of refugees;

c) There have been systematic human rights abuses of civilians in Chechnya on the part of the Russian military, with the perpetrators rarely investigated, let alone punished. Reliable reports recount the rounding up and subsequent disappearance of adult male Chechens, as well as extortion, rape, etc. I find it hard that this sort of activity could continue to take place without complicity at the highest levels of the Russian military;

d) In the end, as the guy in charge of the Russian Federation, Putin is ultimately responsible for the actions of the military in Chechnya, and the picture ain’t pretty. The point of my OP was that if he is willing to suggest circumcision to a French reporter, in an extremely public forum, with the whole world watching, for questioning Russia’s violent actions in Chechnya and toward Chechens, that is indicative of his views on the acceptability of violence. At this point, Putin would love to be able not to give a damn what the rest of the world thinks about Ruussia’s behavior, but fortunately (or unfortunately, depending on whose side you’re on) that is no longer the case.

And now, to tie up a few other loose ends:

The only link I’ve found so far which even mentions the popular Russian prejudice against Chechens (hope the BBC is reliable enough for you):

news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/458924.stm

A source for Russian public opinion stats (on the Chechen conflict and otherwise: in English and Russian)

english.fom.ru/ - 32k

An article stating that one of Yeltsin’s reasons for invading Chechnya was to control “terrorists * and criminals*” (italics mine), plus historical background on the North Caucasus, Russian imperialism, oil, and geopolitics:

www.csmonitor.com/atcsmonitor/ specials/chechnya/ch9.html

Some interesting opinions from a former Russian official, translated and reprinted in a U.S. military publication, on the Chechen situation:

http://www.call.army.mil/finso/fmsopubs/issues/secchech.htm

An article by John Dunlop at the Hoover Institution (hardly a bastion of liberal thought), which lays the blame for the current Chechen situation primarily at Russia’s feet:

http://www-hoover.stanford.edu/publications/digest/021/dunlop.html

Here is a handy website with some census data, ethnic and otherwise, straight from the horse’s mouth (Goskomstat, the Russian Committee for State Statistics, the equivalent of the U.S. Census Bureau). ** Duck Duck Goose, ** take note:there is also a handy explanation of Russian administrative subdivisions here.

http://polyglot.lss.wisc.edu/creeca/kaiser/ethnic.html

You will see that in 1989, only about 28% of the residents of Chechnya were Russian, Ukrainian, or Belarussian, and they were concentrated disproportionately in urban areas primarily Grozny. Most of them have left or been killed in the interim. Goskomstat does have an English-language site (www.gks.ru), but be warned that it’s not a direct parallel of the Russian-language site. I did go directly to Goskomstat and look, but am hampered from searching there by my lack of a Cyrillic keyboard, and by the fact that they charge for much of their data (and had the same problem in doing thesis research).

Well I didn’t “blink and miss it” - I was completely unaware of it until Tamerlane linked to it in this thread. I was aware in general that there was much terrorism linked to Chechens that was unclaimed and would have looked up something along these lines, but this became unnecessary after the State Dept report.

Once again, you show poor form. I asked what evidence you would accept, and you said

Now you are turning around and saying you won’t accept the verdict of a Russian court. Which - leaving aside the weasely aspect of it - means that as a practical matter you won’t accept any evidence ever. Which meant that the excercise was pointless, as I suspected.

I don’t agree with much of your summary of your position, though we do disagree on some critical points. I won’t argue about the historical issues - I haven’t been following the matter long or thoroughly enough. In general there seems to be some consensus that the Chechens have some cause for dissatisfaction - I couldn’t say what scale.

As a practical matter - and of importance to this thread - I think the Chrechens have amply demonstrated over the course of 3 years that they are not equipped for independence, and that left to themselves they are a danger to themselves and others. I therefore reiterate that the best hope for the Chechen people - who have, by any account, suffered a lot in recent years - is for the Russians to crush the rebels and bring about some stability.

I don’t think the scale of atrocities is indicative of a direct policy from the top, any more that the Russian army being the main arms supliers to the rebels is indicative of such a policy from the top. As mentioned repeatedly, there is enormous corruption in Russia - surely you must be familiar with this.

The Putin/circumcision stuff is silly beyond comment.

I did not see any indication in the CSM article that lawlessness was one of Russia’s primary objectives in their first invasion. (In any event, there appears to be widespread agreement that this was actually present at the time, though not nearly to the same level as existed after '96). The matter of Russian bigotry about the Chechens is, again, irrelevent.

Dunlop of Hoover seems to share much of your perspective. But as his article was long on opinion and conjecture and short on facts, it does not add much.

(I am not commenting on assorted other unsubstantiated claims that you’ve (repeatedly) made).