Pyramids and razors

Hi,

I’ve been a lurker for a while but this is my first post, so be gentle with me :wink:

I remember hearing the “fact” that a razor put in a pyramid will sharpen - the pyramind somehow sharpens the razor blade. To be honest, this sounds like a load of rubbish to me, but JIC does anyone have any info on it?

Fran

It’s been a while, but you might try doing a search on the psychologist Wilhelm Reich, or the “orgone” field of life energy which he claimed surrounded the earth and was responsible for such things as the razor sharpening powers of pyramids. It’s fascinating stuff whether you believe in such things, or not.

Cue music from Pyromania by the Alan Parsons Project …

If you want to risk your skin, Francesca, try it, by all means.

So you mean pyramids really do sharpen razors?

What??, please…

Can you possibly think of any reason that putting a razor under a pyramid would cause it to become sharper??

Come on!! Francesca, I don’t mean to scare you off… (I was a lurker for a long time, and I know how it feels to come out! :slight_smile: ), but try it for yourself! Take a razor, make it dull (I dunno, shave your armpits for a month or so…), and see if putting it under a pyramid will make it sharp again!

I’ve never tried this, but I will be willing to bet that it doesn’t work!

Uhm, If it DOES work… I’m in for eatin’ some SERIOUS crow here… :smiley:
BTW: Welcome, Francesca!!!

Well that’s what i thought! I thought it sounded ridiculous but i’ve heard it repeated many times and i can’t find a debunk on snopes or other places.

I would try it myself but there are factors to think about - does it have to be a sealed pyramid? Big or small? Does it have to geometrically perfect? And what sort of test do you do for sharpness? And how do you do an accurate control?

I’ve been thinking about this way too much haven’t i? :slight_smile:

My sister, a once-hippie type, gave me a “Pyramid Power” kit back in the 1970’s for Christmas. It consisted of a plastic pyramid that stood about 8" high and a 2" cube to use as a pedestal.

The directions basically said to place whatever object you wanted charmed (or whatever) on the pedestal, aligning the sides with the compass directions N/S/E/W. Then you placed the pyramid over them, also aligned N/S/E/W. In a day, your object would be charged with Pyramid Power. :rolleyes:

I was too young to shave, so I never tested it on razors. I tried placing the white queen from my chess set in it, but I don’t recall if I played another game against my brother to see if it worked.

Hey, it beat getting a pet rock, which was also big back then.

I can’t find anything debunking this either.

A search brings up lots of New Age sites that say it works, but with only anecdotal evidence, and the sceptic sites that appear say it’s nonsense, but they never seem to have tried it.

I find it hard to believe that such a common idea has never actually been tested…surely someone out there has an answer?

This sounds like an accelerated myth, a mutation to an earlier myth where one myth becomes an even greater myth. Say THAT five times fast.

Traditionally the urban myth about pyramids (and I’m sure most myths refer to the Egyptian pyramids, not just any pyramid) is that the stones are so close together you can’t slip a razor blade between them. I’ve heard and seen that a million times. You’re the first person I have ever heard say the pyramid will now actually SHARPEN the razor - suggesting that this is a myth of very recent vintage that mutated off the old myth.

Testing this myth is hard because you aren’t allowed to just walk up to a pyramid and do whatever you want; they’re closely protected by the Egyptian authorities, who reason (correctly) that the pyramids would have people crawling all over them and chipping peices off if you let them.

That said, if someone is claiming the pyramids have magical powers, it’s up to THEM to prove they do.

In addition to the alignment NSEW as discussed above, the pyramid has to be a perfect scale model of the pyramid at Giza. I had a book as a kid that discussed this and outlined the “experiments” that “scientists” had conducted. In addition to the razor experiment, the “scientists” also put dead cats in the pyramid (IIRC, it has to be 2/3rds of the way up). Surprise surprise, the dead cats were mummified.

The chapter also discussed how some “cognoscenti” used to wear pyramid shaped hats to “sharpen their minds”.

The book was called “Mysteries of the Universe” and was a Marks and Spencer book, but that was thrown out a long time ago (but I’ll call my Mum just in case).

LK

Actually, that rumor is probably a few decades old. I have a few “Fate” magazines from the 70’s that mention that sort of thing, IIRC. They’re also a rather hysterical read for the other articles alone (“Read all about the CRYSTAL SKULL OF DEATH!!!”).

Fraid not. I first heard of this in a book called Supernature by Lyall Watson where he said it worked using scale models.

I have that book, but it’s a few hundred miles away from me at the moment, so I can’t check the exact dimensions required just now.

No matter what you think of this book, I haven’t heard of someone disproving this one yet, and I’ve heard it loads of times since (even Pyramids, by Terry Pratchet makes reference to the idea).

Funnily enough, the Pratchett book is what got me remembering this myth - i just re-read it :slight_smile:

The fact that no one has disproved seems irrelevant. Pyramid Power in a general is a joke. Not every single application has to be tested. If we disprove razors, then next week someone puts out a book claiming that pyramids can whiten your teeth – are we expected to put a massive clinical double-blinded experiment together to try and disprove that?

It’s a ridiculous idea. There are some paranormal claims that seem worth investigating, IMO, this can be dismissed on the face of it.

BTW, is the Terry Pratchett book one of his Discworld novels? From what I’ve read, he seems like a comedian/writer, not a scientist. Citing him seems like citing Woody Allen, eh?

Well, one reason people think this is “true” is because they make better razor blades these days.

Blades used to be made of carbon steel and went dull very quickly. People learned that you needed to change your blade once a week or suffer the consequences.

Enter stainless steel (and later, other compounds). Blades lasted much longer. However, the razor blade manufacturers never bothered to tell anyone that (for obvious reasons). So people kept tossing their blades long before they got dull.

Enter the pyramid crowd. “Your blades can stay sharp a much longer time,” they said. And it was true. The modern, stainless steel blades could go much longer without sharpening – but that had nothing to do with any pyramids. People would try the pyramid and, for the first time, keep using the blade until it got dull. It lasted weeks. Miracle!

I have a tough beard. When I was shaving, a blade lasted me 3-4 weeks. No pyramids anywhere.

AFAIK, there has no been any scientifically valid experiment to determine whether there is any truth to the assertion, so it has to be considered false until its proponents can back up their claim.

Ahh, but people have said it works, and have been saying it for years. It seems such an easy thing to test; it’s surprising no-one’s done it…even if it seems ridiculous…

Yup…Diskworld…heh…I wasn’t citing him as an authority on science, but as an example of how commonly known the idea of pyramids sharpening razors is…I was surprised RickJay hadn’t heard of it.

RealityChuck: Hmm…that could be right, but I still find it hard to believe no-one’s tested this thing.

Don’t get me wrong; I can’t see any reason why a bit of cardboard cut in a funny shape should affect anything, but I did expect at least some fun experimenting with dead bugs and stuff to test the various pyramid claims…there’s just nothing, it seems…

Of course, this could be my opportunity to become the SDMB authority on model pyramids! :slight_smile:

This thread reminded me that in my eighth grade language arts class we were shown a film on pyramid power. It included placing razor blades in wire and cardboard pyramids to make them sharper. It also showed people studying for tests wearing goofy looking pyramid hats. That’s all I remember but the film lasted an entire class period. We never discussed the film in class and I’m not sure why it was shown to us. In retrospect it was probably just Teacher Hangover Day. BTW this was in 1986 and the film was definitely not new at that time, the pyramid hat wearing students looked like they were from the 50’s.

Quoth dylan73:

That’s easy, the ratio of the base lenght to the height is the same as the ratio of the circumfrance of the Earth to its diameter . Before you go getting excited about that,(aha! How did the Egyptians know the size of the Earth?) that’s just pi. And before you go getting excited about that, (so, the Egyptians knew pi?), it’s just because they measured out the base using measuring wheels.

The only way a pyramid could sharpen a blade is if you rub the edge of the blade against the stones in the right way… Just like any stones.

What reasons?

If people are using their razor blades longer, they’re not buying new ones as often. Don’t kick yourself, it happens.