Q for British people: "at the weekend"?

That one does get contracted, at least around here, to “week Friday”, for example as “I might see you at the football week Friday”, which is of course synonymous with “Friday week”. And with football being on Saturdays :slight_smile:

Sure, no problem there. Like I said, we’re proud to be inconsistent.

While I’d have interpreted ‘Monday fortnight’ in that way, I’d also be surprised to hear it. ‘Two weeks Monday’, however, is no problem.

Since today is thursday… and I’m British.
This is what I might say and what I would mean

“Next Friday” or “A week on Friday” would mean 8 days from now.
“This Friday”, or “This Friday coming” would mean tomorrow.
“Last Friday” would mean 6 days ago.
“Friday fortnight” would mean 15 days from now.

Yep…but if today were Monday, “what did you do this Friday?” would be a legitimate question about the past.

I agree. ‘At the weekend’ is rare.

Further potential confustigation: Brits might (I think) say ‘On a weekend*’, as in “I’ll go shopping for shoes, but not on a weekend”

Ditto. When I lived in SE Georgia, I learned “Friday week”. Quite a useful phrase, really, but I’ve never heard it in California. I’ve mentioned it, and people get weird expressions.

In Canada, “on the weekend” is the default (I can speak for as far east as Ontario, past that no one knows what anyone else is saying).
eg. “I will do part one on Friday and part two on the weekend.”

Never heard of it. “Over the weekend” and “this weekend” are common.

Never heard of it. We often say “a week Tuesday,” but this is just a lazy way of saying “a week from Tuesday” which I assume is standard.

Both “at the weekend” and “Friday week” sound horrifically awkward to me. I would have no idea what to make of the latter if it weren’t explained here (I’ve never heard it before).

Nobody here (AFAIK) uses “on the weekend” to mean anything other than a repeating activity. “This weekend”, “last weekend” or “over the weekend” describe things that happen once during a particular weekend.

I, for one, would think you were talking about some tournament called “Football Week” that kicked off this Friday.

That’s really weird. I’ve never heard it anywhere, and I spent a summer in Texas with a lot of people from Georgia, Alabama, Louisiana, and all those other little states down there.

I’ve certainly never heard it here or in Maryland, where I grew up, or in Arizona, or anywhere else I’ve been.

It would be understood, but I don’t think it sounds right. “what did you do last Friday?” and “what will you do this Friday?” sound better to me.

For this (individual) Australian:

“At the weekend”: I’ve heard it. I don’t feel strange with it, but I use “on the weekend”, and that’s what I hear others use nearly always.

“Friday week”: this was very big in my family, and it’s natural to me, but I often avoid it because others go “huh?” (even my sister who also grew up hearing it). I will even use the expression “last Friday week” (the Friday before last). To me the “___ week” form is so much clearer - once you’re used to it - than “no, not this Friday, the one after. What? Next Friday? No, no. I said the one after” etc etc. If today is Wednesday, it will be Friday in two days and Friday week exactly one week after that. Nothing could be easier.

At thie risk of hijacking this, I’ve always been curious about a geographical version of this topic. I will say I will be in Sydney, or in New York, or in Africa. I have noticed that a lot of 19th century material uses at in this context, and even modern Australian legal documents do too, as in: dated at Sydney, this seventh day of July, Two Thousands and Six*.

*I do love the quaint plural form those legal types like to use.

I think that’s most likely pure unfamiliarity, rather than any inherent awkwardness in the construction.

I’ve heard south eastern US native use “Friday week” meaning the Friday of next week. Last Friday is understoood by all as is “this coming Friday.”
When someone says “Friday next” or “Friday week” the confusion sets in.
Minor Hijack – When you are asked “Would you like to come/go to town?” and you reply “I wouldn’t care to” exactly what do you mean? You would gladly go OR no thank you?

I’ve heard south eastern US natives use “Friday week” meaning the Friday of next week. Last Friday is understoood by all as is “this coming Friday.”
When someone says “Friday next” or “Friday week” the confusion sets in.
Minor Hijack – When you are asked “Would you like to come/go to town?” and you reply “I wouldn’t care to” exactly what do you mean? You would gladly go OR no thank you?

“Last Friday” is understood by me and mines as meaning the Friday of a week ago, not the Friday coming up, which would be “this coming Friday,” unless of course it was Friday when you said it, in which case it would be “next Friday,” or “Friday week,” whcih I always though was short for “Friday a week from now”

It means disinterest or dislike. Personally, I don’t care for mushrooms.

My grandmother (Southern Ontario stock) used to say “I’m not fussy about mushrooms.” Meaning that she didn’t like them.

Ahh, the English language.

Also a bit of a hijack. Just when does “next Friday” stop referring to the immediate next Friday. My son insists next Friday always means the Friday in the week that starts on the next Sunday. So if you say it on Sunday the 1st through Thursday the 5th, it would refer to Friday the 13th. I’m a bit vaguer. If I said it on Thursday the 5th I’d mean Friday the 13th, (because I’d say tomorrow for the 6th). But if I said it Sunday the 1st, I’d mean Friday the 6th. Exactly where I’d switch I’m not sure.

I know how risky etymological theories can be without benefit of cites, but it seems to me that “at the weekend” is probably a straightforward contraction of “at the week’s end.”

In other words, “at the weekend” is more associating Saturday and Sunday with the end part of the 7-day week, while “on the weekend” is treating those days more like a separate time after the end of a 5-day week.

Personally, I use “on the weekend” and most often think of the weekend as that part of the week that I don’t work. For instance, I just took Saturday, Sunday, Monday and Tuesday off work due to July 4th being our Independence Day, and I think of that as a 4-day weekend. And, even better, today is the last day of a 3-day week. I could use more of those. :slight_smile:

Seems to me “at” can also be used to describe battlegrounds and stadiums, or other places where specific events took place. Example: While I’m “in” Los Angeles I’m going to go see the game “at” the Chavez Ravine.

I concur.

Wait a second… a week starting with a Sunday?

Is this a trans-Atlantic difference too?