Q: Military Life w/a Family?

A) A distant friend of mine recently wanted to join the Navy. However, the Navy rejected him claiming he wouldn’t be able to support his family on a Navy salary! Has anyone ever heard of such a thing? (Ironically, he claims Navy’s salary would be an increase thus improving their situation.) And, why should the Navy even care?

B) So then, this same friend decided to join the Army. IIRC, he’s going through boot camp in TX and then specialized training in VA. If he lives on the base in VA, can his family live on the base with him? And if not, does the military supplement a soldier’s pay with a house allowance to help your family afford to live nearby?

C) And, what if he’s shipped overseas? If his family lives on base, can they remain living there? Or, if they get a house allowance, would it continue while he’s overseas? (Note: I assume there IS a house allowance - for those who cannot live on base, correct?)

Trying to understand military “intellegence” :wink: - Jinx :confused:

a) Never heard of it, but this doesn’t mean it’s not true.

b) If the servicemember is married, his/her family is entitled to live on base. Sometimes there’s a wait in order to do so, and it’s not mandatory… you can accept a subsidy to live out in town.

c) If he gets shipped overseas as part of a permanent change of station, then yes, the family will have to move. If he gets shipped as temporary duty, then the family can stay in their house. The housing allowance will continue as long as the family is not living in government quarters (on base), even if the servicemember is temporary duty overseas.

Actually, c) is true only for non-hardship tours. There are some overseas duty stations, like Diego Garcia, South Korea, and sometimes the Gulf, which do not allow families to accompany the servicemember. Usually these tours are shorter than an accompanied tour for obvious reasons.

Hope this helps! Let me know if you’re unclear as to what “permanent change of station” vs. temp duty means.

Can’t answer A

B - If a soldier lives on base, they do not get a housing allowance. If they do not live on base, they do get a housing allowance. There’s usually a basic allowance that is a standard amount (usually for whatever paygrade you’re in) and then a variable amount that depends on the area you live in - i.e. it’s based on cost of living. Depending on the base, there may or may not be housing available on base. There are also sometimes military housing communities off base, but again, depending on the area, there may be a waiting list for this. [taken from when I was married to a Navy officer]

C - Anecdotal, but here goes: my husband was stationed on a ship that was going to swap home ports. We lived in San Diego, and the ship was transferring to Yokosuka, Japan. I was planning on moving over there with him, and he’d get the same kind of pay that he got in SD, with the variable portion obviously changing to whatever applied to Japan versus San Diego. I could have elected to stay in San Diego, and if he lived on the ship, I believe that he still would have gotten the housing allowances to cover me in San Diego, but I have to admit that I’m not 100% certain on that.

I wonder if DFAS has stuff online that describes military pay/allowances…

To add to flyboy’s post, A) probably means that his family may have been to large or had a special need that the Navy felt was one headache too many. For the enlisted ranks, especially young enlisted, from my experience, the Navy wants that recruit focused on learning how to be a sailor and how to do his job without worrying about how to find a sitter for three kids. As a crusty old master chief used to say, “if the Navy had wanted you to have a wife, they would a packed her in your seabag at boot camp”.

Okay, as far as being rejected because of the family I have no clue - that doesn’t eally make sense. It works like this.

An enlistee makes a certain amount of base pay based on their rank (the lower the rank the lower the pay). If the member has a family he will get a with dependent rate of BAQ (basic allowance for quarters) this is supposed to make up for the fact that this person requires a larger living space for extra people. It doesn’t matter if you have only a spouse or ten children - the with dependent rate is the same although it increases incrementally as the rank progresses.

If your cousin moves on base, there is family housing available at most bases but some bases are restrictive that lower ranks much live in dorms. In the Air Force, you can apply for a waiver if ytoiu have a family but I am not sure about the other ranks.

If cousin is living on base with family and deploys the family can still stay in the family quarters. If they live off base, they will continue to receive the housing allowance provided that it is a deployment and not a permanent change in station. If the member actually changes station, they will not get the additional allowance if they choose not to or are not allowed to join him.

Dang! Beaten by an aviator.

Turns out DFAS does have a website. The site below has links to all sorts of pay junk. You might find something of interest in here, since it has links to BAH (basic allowance for housing).

And if you want to know about moving allowances, benefits for families overseas, benefits for families in the U.S. when the service member is overseas, etc. check out the Joint Federal Travel Regulations at http://www.dtic.mil/perdiem/jftr.html