'Quando omni flunkus, moritati' (latin translation help requested please)

Didn’t they let women in during the final meeting? IIRC, this is what prompted the Men’s Prayer to change to “I’m a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well.”

That could work too. Except the OP source phrase was second person instead of first person. No context to tell whether singular or plural, which is why I gave both.

I just wanted to “Keep It Simple Simon.”

Stative verbs take a complement in the nominative, don’t they?

Alia omnia means ‘all the other things’. Totus alius means ‘All else’. Omnia means all of several things, like “omnium gatherum.” Totus means whole.
https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/omnis#Latin
Usage notes
In separating omnis from totus it can be useful to remember Quintilian’s sentence (Ins.Or.8.3.70), “minus est tamen totum dicere, quam omnia” (“It is less to say the whole, than all the parts.”).

When I was searching for the verb to fail, I came across desum/deesse, saw that it accurately expressed the sense I had in mind, and stopped looking. Of course, defecit would work as well.

Come to think of it, omnia and defecit are probably the better word choices. ::winking and pointing to DPRK::

What do I know; in Lewis & Short under simulo IIα there are quotes like “tridui uiam aberat; ubi, quo minus mirum esset uno eodemque loco statiua eum tam diu habere, aegrum simulabat” and “non simulare mortem verbis, re ipsa spem vitae dare” and other examples of simulo + accusative

It’s true that in a sentence like “bonus sum” one has to use the nominative, but that does not apply to this use of “simulo” if I have understood the dictionary entry.

ETA Cicero must be spinning in his tomb somewhere due to our butchery of his beloved language…

I think you want an ablative absolute in there - everything having failed, play dead

Something along the lines of Omnibus defaciendibus, mortem simula.

OK, you’re right. I missed the accusative the first time I looked it up. So it’s

mortuum simula
mortuos simulate

keeping it in the second person. OP, did you intend it as singular or plural?

defaciendibus is wrong - that’s the gerund. You’d want defectis, so

Omnibus defectis, mortem simula

Prefer to to go plural but I can go either way as long as the distinction in translation is explained to me.

mortem simula ‘feign death’
mortuum simula ‘play dead’
I think the latter fits the OP better.

I’m going to update my suggestion to Aliis defectis mortuum simulate. All is understood and aliis is ‘other things’. Mortuum is a dead body, whereas mortem is death itself. Simulate is the plural imperative.

It’s “mortuum simulāre,” quartz, I’m sure simulate was a typo. I wanted to use “agere” since it seems like ‘playing dead’ is like playing a theatrical role, but an expert told me mortuum simulare, as others have here. And you definitely don’t want to use an ablative absolute here.

I tried at a better translation myself, and didn’t end up fully confident of it. But I will point you to Meissner’s phrasebook, §V-7 ‘Misfortune-Fate-Ruin.’ I like “fortunae cedere.”

http://www.gutenberg.org/files/50280/50280-h/50280-h.htm#Index_V_7

No typo. Simulare is the infinitive; I was using the plural imperative.

Ooh! I like that. It would be fortuna cessa mortuum simulate.

I feel like we should throw in a future imperative :slight_smile:

Ubi alia omnia defecerint, mortuum simulato

Number agreement: Pick either singular mortuum simula or plural mortui simulate, not mix them.

number + case + gender agreement; accusative plural of mortuus is mortuōs

:smack: Thanks; I realized that later and was coming back to correct it.

Ah yes.

So, is this the fair copy for our translation by committee?

Omnibus defectis, mortuos simulate

Except that the OP had “all else,” making it Omnibus aliis defectis, right?

Omnibus aliis defectis, mortuos simulate

ALOHA HATER said we do not want an ablative absolute with this type of command as it does not have the intended meaning?

So we should use ubi or some other relative particle?