Queen's "You're My Best Friend" as TV theme song?

Can we please call it an example of the Mandela Effect?

That’s the most likely explanation, IMO. Any show doing a montage of how much fun two characters had together had about even odds of using that song. You can practically “remember” it being used for any two close characters of any show of the time period.

Or she heard it on the radio at some time (kind of heard to believe she hadn’t, frankly).

I’m not having any luck tracking down a soundtrack for it, but I’m wondering about My Bodyguard

Or I was thinking Over The Edge but it’s not listed on that soundtrack.

Would have been a cool theme song for “Bosom Buddies”, rather than “My Life”.

When I saw the thread title I thought, “oh sure! it was used one of those 70s TV shows.” But I can’t actually pin down what that would’ve been, and after reading this thread I suspect I also have some conflation going on with “The Courtship of Eddie’s Father.”

I always wondered why they didn’t just use “Bosom Buddies” from Mame.

I know for a fact that Queen’s “Your my best friend” was used
as the theme for Eddie’s father.

They replaced the Nilson song with Queen’s song for a while (this was years back
in the Philadelphia area)

And I remember thinking “Wow they switched songs and are now using Queens song”.
I also remember thinking “Wow, Queen must be in need of money to let them use the song”

My own opinion is that they used the song illegally thinking “people wouldn’t catch on”.
Or it was an honest mistake by some audio/visual tech at the studio.

But yes in Philadelphia Queen’s song WAS used for a while for Eddies Father.

Queen’s song was definitely used for a while as the theme song for
Eddie’s father. They replaced the original theme with Queen’s song.
At least in the Philadelphia area.

The OP probably is remembering a song very familiar. But still different enough to avoid copyright suits.

I too, have a very strong memory of this song in a show’s opening credits. It had to be a very similar song.

Highly, highly, highly, highly unlikely. The Courtship of Eddie’s Father was on the air from 1969 - 1972. You’re My Best Friend was released in 1976 on their album A Night at the Opera, four years after the TV show ended.

I think he’s referring to Syndication.

They may have substituted the music.

Seems unlikely, but I guess it’s possible.

AFV used it as the music for a montage of people hanging with their funny pooches. Not quite the same as a theme for a whole show, but it’s my #1 association with the song.

If so, then they did it without permission-highly unlikely. Are there any references to this actually happening?

Why would one small market go through the trouble of pulling a syndicated show out of the line-up, redub the soundtrack at a not inconsiderable cost with music that isn’t really associated with that market, then stick it back in the lineup, all without permission?

Bosom Buddies originally used a cover of Billy Joel’s My Life as its theme. It was replaced in syndication by Shake Me Loose by Stephanie Mills. But that was nationwide, not just in one region. Not the same thing at all.

The audio to Queen’s song does not match up to the video of COEF in any way shape or form. Try to make it fit.

A Night at the Opera was released in Nov. 1975, not 1976.

Close enough for rock ‘n’ roll. There is still a three year gap between the end of Courtship of Eddie’s Father and the release of You’re My Best Friend.

The station wouldn’t have but a Syndicator might have. It plausible they purchased the rights to the song and it only aired in a few markets since it wasn’t the most popular of shows. Maybe Queen sells the rights for cheaper than we expect?