Question about '80s Seagram's adds

As most of you know, in the 80’s Bruce Willis did commercials for Seagram’s wine coolers. His catch phrase was “It’s wet and it’s dry.” It’s probably very obvious, but, what the hell does that mean?

a dry wine is a wine that has little sugar.

I don’t think that’s correct johnpost. A dry wine is one that has its fermentable sugars converted to alcohol (consumed by the yeast). There can still be unfermentable sugars present in the drink that will make the drink sweet.

Or you could simply say that a dry drink is one that makes it feel like your tongue is absorbing the drink as you drink it. :slight_smile: That’s how it feels to me anyway.

Dry drinks generally leave very little aftertaste. In dry wines, this is an artifact of having few unconverted fermentable sugars, but other types of alcoholic drinks are termed “dry” if their flavor components don’t linger on the tongue. This leaves one feeling as if one’s drink has passed over the palate without really “wetting” it.

I wonder if this phenomenon is due to alcohol solubility of the flavor bits (no detritus left on the palate after quaffing) or because the flavor components need to be combined with the alcohol in the drink in order for the taste receptacles to interpret them…

Everybody’s focusing on the dry part, but I was asking the slogan it’s wet AND it’s dry. Is the wet part simply that it’s a liquid? But that doesn’t make since, any drink described as dry is a liquid. So I wonder if he meant something else.

I think the point of ads was that wine coolers were thirst-quenching, but not too sweet-tasting. At the time, wine coolers were gaining a reputation for being sweet, girly drinks. Bruce Willis was the sort of celebrity that had a certain appeal as a guy’s guy, and someone who would attract male consumers as well as females.

The “It’s wet is and it’s dry thing” is kind of similar to “So hot, it’s cool.” I don’t think there was some sort of deeper meaning.

I think I see what you’re saying.

It was because he needed something to rhyme with “my my my my”