Question about air travel

While coming home from a bidniss trip, as the plane was landing, they turned off most of the internal lights.

Why do they do that? And why do they ask you not close the window shades when taking off and landing? Are these two phenomena related?

Pilot 141 will probably be by with good info on this.

What kind of airplane?

Could be several things.

Open shades is for safety and rescue purpose I believe.

Shutting down a lot of unnecessary lights allows the electrical load to be more manageable as the landing lights and other landing use electrical loads go up.

From New Scientist…

And, for what it’s worth, I asked that question once and was given the eye adjustment explanation.

The New Scientist link pretty much covers the reason for dimming the lights at night.

The window shades question has come up before.

The basic answer is that the shades on emergency exit rows must be raised during takeoff and landing. This is so flight attendants can assess whether or not an exit is usable should an evacuation be required. You don’t want to open an exit that’s being licked by flames or obstructed by trees.

Different airlines take different approaches to accomplishing this. My airline does not make a PA about it, but has the flight attendants check for this during their final walkthrough of the cabin. Other airlines include window shades in their “seatback and tray tables” PA. It’s only the shades around emergency exits that are required to be up, but to simplify things they may announce that all shades need to be up.