Question about college and grants

I got a new cellphone/number a couple of months ago. I guess maybe the number’s previous owner must have made inquiries into going back to school, because in the last week I have gotten 3 calls so far “following up on your interest in going back to school.”

It is an odd coincidence, though, because last week I was just talking to my buddy wistfully about wishing I had gone to college and how I suppose I still could. (and no, he’s not the type of person who would ever have made those inquiries for me.)

Almost ten years ago, I did make an attempt at the local junior college, although I was homeless at the time, and I finished one semester with an “A.”

But the problem I ran into at the time was this: When I was 17, after my junior year of high school, I took the equivalency test because I wanted out, very badly. They told me if I passed it, I could call myself a graduate because it was the equivalent of a diploma. This was in 1980.

Now it seems that my high school transcripts have disappeared entirely. My elder brothers’ transcripts are both there, although they’re 5 and 7 years older than I am. But I guess the whole leaving-school-early thing doomed my records to some kind of administrative black hole. Needless to say, I also never took the SATs. However, the junior college gave me an entrance exam, and I scored in the 90th percentile.

Anyway, no transcripts made it impossible for me to qualify for anything but a Pell grant. If I were to try again, is there anything I can do about this? I’m in California, btw.

Did you fill out a FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid)? As far as I know, they don’t require any information about past schooling. Just your financial info.

BTW, if you did indeed take a GED test, I would bet the state, not the school, has a record of it. Where to get GED records.

–But it wasn’t a GED. That’s something else; and is not the same as a diploma. I took another test that proved I know everything a graduate knows. They probably dont even have those tests anymore.

Yes, I did fill out a FAFSA. And I got a Pell grant; but my advisor told me that I had to have my transcrips for other grants or loans.

Anyone?

It seems to me that taking the GED will solve all of your problems.