Question about Darth Vader on Star Wars...

I don’t know what Prowse got, but JEJ has stated publicly he got a grand total of $7,000 for the voice work on the first movie.

I apologize to David Prowse and state for the record that my remarks were in no way intended to disparage him or his part in Star Wars. Okay?

It was a completely different salary environment in the 70’s, too. I read somewhere that most of the main actors in The Godfather were paid about $35,000 each for several weeks of work, so in that context being paid $7,000 for speaking a few lines doesn’t sound at all bad.

Sorry to continue this hijack, but if you like that one, you should watch the far superior one:

Jones did an interview where he said he did not ask for a real big raise for the next 2 movies after Star Wars was a big hit. But he also did not say what he got paid for the next 2.

Of course even that is true from a certain point of view.

/damn you, I wanted to say that… :slight_smile:

/Force Choking Johnny Q

According to Ask.com David Prowse was paid $12,000. However they say James Earl Jones received $10,000 instead of his claimed $7,000. Either way Prowse earned more than James Earl Jones (although Prowse had to work much harder for it).

Unrelated: Prowse is claiming that he hasn’t been paid any residuals for Return of the Jedi since the LucasArts bookkeepers claim that Jedi has never turned a profit.

As they say, the only thing creative in Hollywood is the bookkeeping.

Supposedly, Prowse was also pissed that he wasn’t asked back to play Vader in ROTS. (Even though he’d only be shown for a few minutes). But Hayden wanted to get his chance to wear the suit, and I can’t say I blame the guy. Who wouldn’t want to play Vader – in the suit?

But it’s obvious that the person in the suit doesn’t have the same frame. They tried to cheat the angles and hide it, but the proportions just aren’t as big. It was a mistake. Well, Hayden was a mistake in every respect, so I guess this is just par.

Man, that guy’s acting was horrible.

LucasArts? The videogame company?

Maybe “more machine now than man” included bigger limbs?

I can definitely envision whiny Anakin realizing that with a short trip to the droid repair shop, he can start towering over those he wants to intimidate. Why be 5’9" when you can be 2 meters tall (and bipedal) !

I suspect he meant Lucasfilm. It’s a common misperception that LucasArts is Uncle George’s overall holding company, whereas (as you note) it’s a separate company, specializing in computer games.

Actually, the rumor is that he was asked back for ROTS, but as a courtesy (similar to Peter Mayhew playing Chewbacca). Prowse held out, wanting to turn it into a payday, and got shown the door.

Yup, LucasFilm. That’s what I meant to say. (Honest)