Question about dental work and osteoporosis

So i was at a new dentist today. I ended up sitting in the exam chair for over an hour, staring at this sign saying “If you are considering treatment for osteoporosis or are on any of these medications to treat osteoporosis, please tell us prior to any dental work.”

Now I understand why an osteoporotic patient is at much greater risk for jaw bone complications than healthy patients. What I don’t understand is the language of the sign. Medication for osteoporosis is supposed to strengthen bone density, no? And this sign didnt say “if you have osteoporosis, please tell us prior to any dental work”, it said, in essence, if you’re on or considering starting osteoporosis medication, tell us first.

It seems like the language used is an obvious oversight which could easily result in patients who should be treated with a much higher level of caution not getting that treatment, which could have disasterous results.

Or am I completely misunderstanding this? Is there something inherent in osteoporosis medications themselves that compromise jaw integrity? I cannot see how this could be tho. Given the fairly strong, harsh side effects of most osteoporosis drugs, many people decide against treatment with them, opting instead for a “natural treatment”. These people would (potentially) not recognize themselves as being a part of the patient population to whom that sign in the office is directed. And so they wouldn’t say anything about having osteoporosis. Because they werent on or considering treatment with any of the drugs. I asked the dentist about this but his response did not answer my question. He seemed irritated that i was even asking it given the fact that osteoporosis related issues weren’t a factor for me.

So I ask the medically-inclined members of The Dope. Please tell me if im right that the sign is a poorly written PSA, which could have horrible (if unlikely) results. Or that I’m inadequately informed on the matter, thus wrong.

Bisphosphonates are a class of medications used to treat osteoporosis and can be associated with osteonecrosis of the jaw as a rare side effect.

Case report :https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3354860/

Ahhhh! Thank you. I don’t see what would have been so hard for the dentist to relay this quick bit of info. But still, one thing he did say in response to my question (which was, “what is the issue of concern, the osteoporosis itself or the drugs to treat it?”), “both”. So it seems to me at least that the same concern applies to untreated osteoporotic individuals and patients on the drugs to combat it.