Question about Financial Aid and the IRS.

I’m in the process of applying for Financial Aid. The school I want to go to received my financial application and they need a copy of my 2002 tax return. My husband and I filed online last year and the web site offers a way to print out a copy, but it’s not working (tried several different computers to no avail–the PDF file is empty every time). So now I not only must pay $39 to the IRS for a photo copy (a free transcript is not acceptable), I have to wait for the request form (10-15 days) and then wait an additional 60 days for the copy! Why on earth does it take so long and why such a hassle? Is there anyway around this? Perhaps there is a way to ask the H & R Block web site what’s up with their PDF files? (I didn’t see a way to contact anyone for that sort of thing at their site.) I don’t have that kind of time and I’m frustrated because I was advised by the Financial Aid office when I applied not to request a photo copy, and to get a transcript instead, because of the cost.

Since you posted your query, have you tried printing your return yet again?

Have you contacted H&R Block?

Why didn’t you keep a hard copy when you initially filed?

Why does it take so long to receive a copy ofyour return from the IRS? According to the IRS web site, they have to locate your exact copy of the return, copy it and post it back to you. Perhaps the $39.00 fee and long wait is to discourage taxpayers from doing this.

I did try printing again last night (on both mine and my sister’s computer) but the file turns up empty.

I emailed H&R Block yesterday but have not received a response yet.

As far as why we didn’t keep a copy…my husband was responsible for filing that year and, well, he is sort of irresponsible, i guess.

Thanks for your comment! :slight_smile:

This part makes it sound like you called the IRS to get the form, and they are mailing it to you. I don’t know if this is the case or not, but if so, to speed it up a bit, you can go to the IRS website, do a search for Form 4506, and download the .pdf. or, here is the direct link for the file.