Question about the availability of a specific medical service.

My Dad is 86 years old, and currently in a rehab center due to a fall. He is ready to come home, but there is one problem. He has developed a slow bleed in his small intestine. This manifests itself in a drop in is hemoglobin levels. This means that every 10 days or so, his levels drop so low that they send him to a hospital for a transfusion. He gets 2 or 3 units, his levels come back up, and he heads back to the rehab. 10 days later, his levels drop again. Wash, rinse, repeat. The doctors do not think that he is healthy enough to go in and close up the bleed, so this is what his life will be reduced to. Does anyone know of a service that provides in-home transfusions in New York State, specifically Nassau County? My google-fu finds papers on suitability studies, as well as guidelines for candidates for the service, As well as guidelines for providing the service, but I can’t find anyone who actually provides the service.

Thanks in advance.

Tony

I have no idea about the availability of a home transfusion service.

I did want to mention, though, that while blood transfusions are usually uneventful, there is always the possibility of a serious adverse reaction requiring immediate medical attention. In other words, I would be very wary of someone receiving a blood transfusion in their home.

I don’t know if such a service is available in New York State but would recommend that you talk to the case management or social services department at the hospital. They are familiar with what’s available in your area and can advise you better.

Definitely a question for the Medical Social Worker at the hospital or rehab center, or maybe a few phone calls to home health care businesses in your area (a list of which you can find online or, again, as the MSW.)

My home health company, in Illinois, has never done blood transfusions. We will do home IV antibiotics, wound care, tube feedings, pain pump refills, but we don’t do blood. Patients who need transfusions go to the hospital for that, and then come back home. I don’t know if anyone in home care does blood, that would be something I’d have to ask my supervisor. I doubt it. If someone has a transfusion reaction, that’s not something I can fix in a home setting, and it’s an emergency so emergent that I wouldn’t even want to wait for an ambulance.

If my boss asked me to do blood at home, I’d tell him no way, in the interest of both patient care and my license.

Did anyone else think of asking the doctor to add a stop-leak to the next transfusion? I hear egg whites work.