Question about the movie "Red"

In the scene where they are interrogating the bad guy, and Morgan Freeman’s character decides to act as a distraction to allow the rest to escape, who is his assassin?

Probably one of the agents loyal to the CIA woman, or the same source as the first assassin that tried to kill him.

It’s been several months since I saw the movie, but I’d thought Helen Mirren’s character shot Freeman’s character in order to provide the distraction for the group. The CIA agent in charge (Karl Urban’s character) was determined not to shoot, and in fact was surprised by the kill.

I thought that’s what made it both a coldblooded team decision and a clear and deliberate personal sacrifice.

I thought it might be that too but in the scene right after, there’s no evidence that her gun was fired, no reaction from the GF, and the sound was different than the later sound when her gun was fired.

I’ve only seen it once, but I thought that Bruce Willis shot him from behind to cause the distraction. The little discussion they had beforehand felt to me like Freeman was expecting to die.

Anybody read the comic? The answer is probably there.

I haven’t read the comic, but my understanding is that the movie is very loosely based on it. Morgen Freeman’s character isn’t even in the comic.

Makes sense but in this situation, there’s no reason to take a killing shot. They could have fired into the wall, Freeman would take a pratfall, and it would have the same effect. This would argue against Mirren shooting either, as they were all skilled enough to wound instead of kill.

Of course Freeman was expecting to die – he had incurable cancer, remember? That was why he chose to be the distraction – it was risky and he knew it, but he didn’t have much longer to live anyway. It’s classic greasing the skids.*

He was shot by one of the CIA/FBI guys. The chief agent realizes at that point he was not in charge of things.

*When you make a dilemma easier for characters. It’s usually much better writing if you keep making things harder for them at all points. In this case, it allowed them to kill the character and reduce the emotional depth (“well, he was going to die soon, anyway”), which is OK in a light hearted adventure flick. But a serious movie would have had Freeman spending the time talking about attending his daughter’s wedding or some such happy event.

He had six fingers.