Question for Martini Enfield

I have a chance to buy a Enfield #4 MK1 for $130.00 (about 66 GBP) it’s listed in good condtion. Should I? I’m pretty sure I will. I’ts my birthday on the 19th, and I’ve always wanted a vintage longarm. Now, this is a single action, right? Work the bolt for each shot? Google Fu, he-yah! I see it is, but with a lot practice you can get up to the Mad Minute standard of 30 aimed shots in 60 seconds.

Also, can any American Dopers chime in on Ammo availability?

Unlike the unfortunate Martini Enfield, we in the States can mail-order ammo. While I generally see .303 on the shelf at Sportsman’s Warehouse and other big stores, places like Cheaper Than Dirt also usually have some. Right now they’re showing ~ 10 different choices, $13 - $23 per box.

But I don’t have an Enfield, so I don’t really look for the stuff all that often.

Skip it. Find a gun show near you and go look at the weapons yourself. A #4 listed as “Good” is probably a piece of crap. Beat to hell, missing most of the bluing, and generally not something you’ll be happy with. Nothing beats seeing and handling the piece yourself before purchase.

.303 ammo is no problem. I can find it just about anywhere in the Southwest, at very reasonable prices. Best price is often at the aforementioned gunshows. Buy it by the case and save!

Oh, I’ll get to see it first, and I’ll look out for the conditions you mentioned. Part of it’s that it’s my birthday sunday, and part it gives an excuse for a run up into the mountains to Prescott for the day. It does say, WWII vintage. 60+ year old rifle has every chance to be beaten to hell. There’ll be other rifles there…

Oh, in the ‘Most dangerous places’ thread, I was tempted to list ‘Silenus’ living room, if uninvited.’

Thanks for the input, Bobtheoptimist. Sounds like ammo’s no problem, if the rifle’s in any kind of shape.

Check for loose parts, general play in the action, and take a bore light to check the rifling. Enfields are fun guns, and very tough, but there is a lot of junk out there as well as some deals.

Thanks for the tips, silenus. My bad up above for not bolding your name, above. I blame my copyeditor. I’ll have him flogged.

What it should look like new.

The bottom rifle has never been fired outside armory testing. I took it out of the wrapper myself.

From the top.

If the rifle you are looking at has all matching numbers, so much the better. Look for replaced wood, and carefully check the chamber for erosion, if the previous owners/users didn’t keep it clean.

I find that my Mark III* kicks like a mule, but is a fast and fun shooter nonetheless. Hope this one meets your standards and you get a good shooter.

Well, I’m back from the mountains. Didn’t buy the Enfield. Double checked the budget, and looked at some of their other stock. Took home a Mosin Nagant M44. Reciever stamped 1944. Had a choice between two, one a little more collectable, due to all matching SNs, one in better shape, likely to be a better shooter. Took the better shooter. The kitchen smells pleasantly of cosmoline and solvent, and we will find out tomorrow how happy we are with this vintage longarm. (Did I mention the 300 rounds of Bulgarian Ammo? (yes I will clean the rifle the same day)) It was the integral bayonet that really sold me. One less thing to scour the internet for. I’ve located some stripper clips, but their webstie went batty. No matter, gun show coming up.

Thank you for the time you spent, and the pictures. Mucho Appreciado.

I’m coming back to hijack my own thread. I’m keyed up and happy, and going shooting in about 6 hours, so I’m prescribing myself a shot of medicinal scotch to help me get to sleep. Should I use the Laphroaig or the Tallisker?

Why settle for the lesser of two greats? Have two halves. Consecutively, of course.

That Bulgarian is probably corrosive, so be sure to clean it properly.

And be sure to hold that puppy snugly against your shoulder. Moisin-Nagants kick like a mule.

Thanks for the tip and the link, UB, Windex, eh? Good to know. After an hour of scrubbing those specks out, now I know what they were.

The M44 was one the better tamed beasties, today. Those who have been following, and want to hear more may join me in MSPS here:

http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?p=8895612#post8895612

Hi Sonoran Lizard King! Sorry I didn’t pop in sooner- work’s been insanely busy and literally half our staff have been off sick. 8 days in a row without a day off isn’t fun, I can tell you…

As for the rifle- well, I think you probably should have gotten the Enfield. M44s are cheap and plentiful (and of limited collector value at the moment), and USD$160 is a bargain for a No 4 Mk I- they can go for anything up to USD$250-$400, depending on make, model, and manufacturer. There’s also more history with an Enfield (as a general rule), and they hold twice as much ammo, along with having the fastest operating bolt of any military rifle. :slight_smile:

Does the store do lay-by? If you can get the serial number and the markings on the left-hand side of the receiver, I can tell you when the rifle was made, at which factory, and the year.

A general note to everyone- feel free to PM me if you’ve got old firearm questions or want to bring my attention to a particular thread. I’m not enough of an egotist to do a username search on myself every day. :wink: :smiley: