Question for the female Dopers...

Yeah, what about Geobabe?

That’s just RUDE!

Ah hell, Miss C, let’s go back to fighting over BunnyGirl. That was more fun, anyway.

Where do you live that people actually date?

[li]Wednesday for Friday/weekend…check![]Specific days and times…check![]in a relationship, timing shouldn’t matter too much…check![/li]
Hmmm, well, all I need is someone to date and I’m set. :frowning: I think I’m just going to follow Superdude around and pick up his left-overs.

Well, I’m an old married lady, so I don’t date anyone but my husband. Mostly, we don’t make a lot of plans in advance, and just go out spontaneously. But every so often, my husband will ask me for a “date” in advance. Like he might say on a Tuesday:

Mr. Bean: Do you have any plans for Saturday?
Mrs. Bean: I dunno. You are the social secretary. Do I have any plans for Saturday?
Mr. Bean: No, you don’t have any plans on Saturday.
Mrs. Bean: Thank you. I don’t have any plans on Saturday.
Mr. Bean: Would you like to go out to dinner with me? I was thinking sushi.
Mrs. Bean: That would be wonderful.

This shows me that he cares enough to make a reservation ahead of time.

There are, and should be, no “rules” about this. Only some stupid ideas promulgated by stupider women. But, if you want to show a lady that you really really value her company, ask her out early in the week. (Note that the converse is not true–just because you ask her out at the last minute doesn’t mean that you don’t really really value her company.)

I’ll also chime in with a “Call me by Wednesday for a Friday or Saturday date” rule. I’ve made exceptions, though. As far as earliest goes, it really varies. If it’s a LDR, obviously you have to plan way ahead. OTOH, if someone local, more than a week or so might seem odd unless it’s something specific like theater tickets or some kind of event like a party or wedding.

It all depends on the vibe, really. If the vibe is really good, those few “rules” I have often go out the door.