Question on Medical Probability

How likely is it that someone could break a bone in the leg at mid-calf, have five hours of surgery with several screws to put it back together, and be without a cast three weeks later?

By mid calf, are you describing the lower leg, Tibia or Fibula?

The femur can be repaired with a rod down through it and the soldier was back in battle.
There is good hardware out their! I say its possible.

FWIW, I broke all the bones in my elbow, had it fixed with two plates/15 pins during eight hours of surgery and NEVER had a cast. They also had me try to move it the next day. I say it’s entirely possible.

The whole point of the ORIF is to stabilize the bones without a cast

Many such procedures especially when done by a good doc with a young healthy patient can be up and around pretty quick (like days) with little more than OTC pain management.

Last I heard they would try to get hip replacements up and around usually the day after surgery.

I think that the broken bone may have been a smaller bone in the lower part of her calf. That’s all I’ve been told. She did mention plates being used with the screws.

Would such a break need to have a cast just for a loooong flight, but have to be removed immediately upon return requiring a stop at the hospital?

As a for example, lets say forementioned person hurt themselves skiing. Any old local clinic/smalltown doc can cast a break if they need to. This would keep a complex break nice and still until a proper fix could be put in place over the next few days.

The person in question would not be in very good shape to travel esp hiking through airports on crutches but I could easily see it being done.

:dubious: I have a Schneider rod in my femur, and it was five months before I could put my full weight on that leg.

As far as the OP goes, I could see it happening, but it doesn’t mean that the bone is fully healed.

I fractured my right tibia and fibula in an accident. Seven screws and a plate were installed during surgery. The limb was never casted, and I was ‘no weight bearing’ for approximately 6 months.

They had my mom doing exercises within eight hours of her knee replacement surgery. It sounds brutal, but her knee has turned out great.

I broke my fibula a few years ago and had surgery and internal fixation. It looked similar to this x-ray, except with just the plate and small screws - I didn’t need the two big screws.

I had a plaster cast for eight days after the surgery. Then I had a removable walking cast like this for one month. I also had crutches, but I only really needed them for a couple days after I got the walking cast (although I used them outdoors for about one week, because it was the middle of the winter and there was lots of snow and ice).

Edited to add: I pretty much always kept the walking cast on for one month, but the doctor said I could remove it whenever I wanted as long as I didn’t put any weight on it. I took it off while showering and sometimes while lying down on the sofa, but I preferred to wear it while sleeping because I toss and turn a lot at night and I was more comfortable with the cast on.

Waenara, that x-ray you linked looks almost exactly like my daughter’s did when she broke her ankle and fibula. She did have the big screws and was casted after the surgery and was non-weightbearing for about 6 months.

The health of individual, type of fracture and surgeon’s philosophy all factor in. I had worked in the PT department in hospitals. Some internal fixation patients were non weight bearing for a long time with all kinds of precautions, but routine knee replacements- sometimes I had them out of bed with a walker the same day. Those patients would walk out of the hospital as soon as we knew they could get around the house and bathroom safely.