Question re: emailing photo taken by digital camera

Whenever I email a picture which I have downloaded from my digital camera, the jpeg image received by the recipient is magnified enormously (even though it is normal size when viewed on my computer). Is there a way to edit the jpeg so I can email normal sized pictures?? Thanks!

Use almost any photo altering program to reduce the size of your jpeg to a standard size, then email it.

Great, thanks. Should I have an altering program on my standard Dell PC? And how do I get to it? I’m sorry for being so computer illiterate! Thanks again…

Poke around your “Start Menu - Programs” a little bit, and see if you have one already installed. Dell should have put something on there for you, this is pretty standard stuff. :wink:

There are numerous free programs out there that will manipulate images, or you could just go for the standard Microsoft Paint program that is prolly on your Microsoft disk somewhere.

Do a google search or head to a freeware site, and just look around.

The crux is that actual photos are at a higher resolution than the screen. A photo will represent x pixels in a much smaller space than your monitor. So the same picture that prints as a normal picture looks huge on your monitor. The reason to be aware of this is that if you resize your image files so that they will look good on email, they will not print properly, they will be teeny-weeny. So you may need to have two versions of the pix, depending on your needs.

For software: ofoto has software, many of the other sites do also. Many digital cameras come with software (at least my Olympus did). www.download.com probably has hundreds more, search for image editing tools.

“Whenever I email a picture which I have downloaded from my digital camera, the jpeg image received by the recipient is magnified enormously”

Could be you are using another monitor resolution then they are.
Why don’t they just use the ZOOM OUT feature of their image program to make it smaller?

If your Dell is fairly new, it should have software called “Dell picture studio” or some such, which will allow you to edit the picture. You’d probably want to crop your pictures before you send them out anyway.

Here’s what usually happens when I email photos to a recipient who doesn’t have a good photo viewing package.

The image is opened in their browser and displays at approx 72 DPI. This makes the images a LOT bigger than what can be displayed without scrolling.

If they have an image viewing program, such as irfanview http://www.irfanview.com/ , a free download, then the image can be displayed and be easily resized. Irfanview will let you resize in batch mode too.

The alternative would be for you the resize the image, Irfanview will do this, to a size such as 800x600 that will display on their screen even if they use their browser to view it.

Even if they are running their display at a high resolution, most images will not display without scrolling unless the image is resized.

If it looks the right size on your screen and too big on the other screen, there is absolutely nothing you can do about it. As mentioned above, their monitor is set differently from yours. Changing the size so it looks the right size on their screen means it is smaller on yours.

They may not want to or are unable to change their monitor settings. Don’t worry about it.

BTW: You shouldn’t really be attaching photos (or anything) to email messages. Lots of reasons for this. E.g., I don’t view/download attachments ever for security reasons. Upload the image to your web site and email just the URL.

Are you running Windows XP by any chance? If so, when you view the pictures on your PC with the standard Windows Picture and Fax viewer that comes with XP, that program will make your pictures fit your screen as you view them. My digital camera pictures come out of my camera at 2272 x 1704 pixels, but when I view them with Windows Picture and Fax viewer it automatically resizes them so they fit on my computer screen. If I tried to email that size photo to someone and they opened it in another photo viewing program, they would see it at its full 2272 x 1704 size.

I second the Irfanview recommendation, free and very easy to use.

Thanks to all. The irfanview worked perfectly!