Question re: the musical, Les Miserables

I am hoping someone can answer two quesions I have about the musical, Les Miserables.

(1) Who is the girl on the famous poster? I suspect it is either Cozette or Eponine.

(2) In the past, what music was associated with the musical? In other words, when the advertisement for the musical would come on TV, there was music that would play, and one would know it was for Les Mis. I am having a dispute with someone it. We first saw it in the 90s, and I don’t think the music has changed. Does anyone really KNOW what it is? (Please don’t guess.)

Thanks!!!

1. It’s Cosette and it’s a picture from the original book(it’s by Emile Bayard)

2. On My Own is the most famous individual song and is often played. I don’t know how you expect us to know for a fact what is associated with it, though.

You did know it was a book, right? :slight_smile:

It’s Cosette, from an illustrator contemporary to Hugo named Emile Bayard.

The music I recall being used most often in commercials to attract attention and signal “Les Mis” (is that what you meant?) was the same as it is today: the opening bars of “Work Song” - which, of course, are repeated over and over at various parts of the show.

I’ve always thought she looked really cute and waif like but in the full version of that pic, why are her feet so enormous? She’s SO tiny and her feet are incredibly creepy looking.

This commercial is from 1998 and uses Do You Hear the People Sing?

Thank you for taking the time. Yes, I knew it was a book. :slight_smile: