Question regarding the 1755 Lisbon earthquake and the distortion of Spain's coastline

Hi

Other than a few general references online, I have been unable to find anything scientific on how the 1755 Lisbon earthquake distorted Spain’s coastline, particularly where the Wharf of the three Caravels is now situated. I believe it is several hundred meters inland from the original site. The Wharf of the three Caravels is not the original site where Columbus launched his three ships, but I cannot find any scientific analysis of how far inland the Wharf of the three Caravels is from Columbus’s original launch site. Indeed, has the original site ever been found? I hope someone can help me on that.
I look forward to your feedback.

Two minutes and Muelle de las Carabelas told me that “wharf” is a museum built in 1994 and housing three reproduction caravels used as part of the 1992 celebrations. Back in 1492 that thing wasn’t in another place, it was 5 centuries in the future.

Take into account that even though in English it’s for some reason called the “Lisbon earthquake”, its epicenter was actually over 200 miles out to sea: what was heavily destructive was the asociated tsunami, but that didn’t change the coastline much except where it removed or deposited large amounts of sand.

Thanks Nava, so did the caravels launch from the spot where the replicas now stand or from some other spot in Palos de la Frontera?

From the actual harbor. The museum is in the harbor area but isn’t part of the real harbor. If you’re asking if anybody knows the specific spots where the caravels were tied down then no, it wasn’t something anybody thought of jotting down.

None of those guys were famous before they left. Some of them got famous when they got back.

Thanks Nava. Very helpful.

Thank you Melbourne. Thank you all.