Questions about refrigerating booze

I’m not a teetotaller, but I’m the next closest thing. I have an average of perhaps one drink per month.

I bought a bottle of Goldschlager (a cinnamon schnapps) this weekend to toast a friend. I have about half of the bottle left and it’s currently in my refrigerator.

Question 1: If I leave the bottle in there for another month or two without opening it, will it lose any of its flavor or kick or will it still taste the same? It’s tightly sealed.

Question 2: I want to start drinking red wine for the health benefits, but as I live alone a bottle (especially one of the larger screwtop bottles of table wine like E&J Gallor or Rossi puts out) lasts me a long time. How long can table wines stay in the refrigerator after being opened before they turn vinegary?

Thanks-
j

1. It should stay good almost indefinitely, so long as it stays sealed. The main thing that affects distilled spirits is evaporation, and a refrigerated bottle, sealed tightly, will not likely be affected.

2. For most wine, no more than a week. If you want a red wine that will keep, go with a (real) port. It will keep more than long enough. Note however, port will be sweet, sometimes very sweet - the sugar is part of what allows it to keep longer. Note also that cheap american “port style” wines (Taylor, Fairbanks, etc.) are both unsuitable and often nearly undrinkable to start with, though some Australian ports are actually excellent, especially if price is a factor.

1. the alcohol should be fine and will probably taste even better cold(at least that’s how i like to do shots or drink it straight)

2. if you are going to keep the wine, you should invest in a bottle top vaccuum seal. it looks like a cork although its made out of rubber and it comes with this mini pump. you place the rubber cork in the bottle, pump it a few times to get the air out, and it will maintain flavor and last longer. they’re relatively inexpensive and can be used over again after a quick rinse under the sink.

Great advice.

Two articles that may be of interest to you:
http://www.brentwoodwine.com/invest/storing.html
http://wine.about.com/library/weekly/aa102700.htm

A possible solution you may want to consider is to buy half bottles – 375 ml, which translates to 12.7 fl. oz. – about the same size as a bottle of beer! I don’t know how much you plan to drink, but I’d guess you’ll finish the bottle in two sittings. The downside, of course, all else being equal, per-unit cost on half bottles would likely be higher than that for larger sizes.

If you’re drinking it for the health benefits (and not for the quality), how about a box wine? I believe those last quite a long time in the refrigerator. A 5 liter box might last you a bit too long though.

Many of the “cheaper” wines (Ernest & Gallo, Sutter Home), have started selling 4-packs of individual bottles of wine, which you could finish at one sitting. I’d estimate that they contain approximately 5 ounces of wine.

“Many of the “cheaper” wines (Ernest & Gallo, Sutter Home), have started selling 4-packs of individual bottles of wine, which you could finish at one sitting. I’d estimate that they contain approximately 5 ounces of wine.”

Thanks- that sounds perfect.

Thanks for all advice. I really like schnapps but just once in a while so I’m glad it’ll keep.